Easy lesson

Roger Tulk

I decided to take the day off SWMBO' list today, and tonight started something I' wanted to do since I saw it in a magazine. I'll tell you waht it is when I finish the first one, but it involvves presents for my girls (2 daughters and daughter in law.) However, I changed my band saw blade tonight in 15 minutes, compared to an hour last time. I learned that if you try to back the band saw blade out of a cut with the motor running, the blade will jump off the wheels. I didn't quite get it the first time, so I did it twice :rolleyes: but the blade doesn't seem to have suffered any damage, and I made all the cuts and did some of the gluing tonight, so tomorrow I have to sand some more and put a finish on.

Oh, I also learned that 1/8" 14tpi blade will easily cut 8/4 cherry. I wasn't sure...

In the second semester of class, you'll learn that a bandsaw blade can make wood smoke if you put it on upside down. Or so I've heard. :whistling:

And that 15 minute blade change will get even quicker over time. Or at least it did for me.

my brother in law learned that lesson vaughn, except with a circular saw. our dad went over to help with the construction of the deck, and saw a lot of smoke near the back of their house. brother in law was complaining that the new blade he bought was no good, and dull to boot, as he was having trouble cutting the boards. it turns out that he had put the blade in backwards, and was burning his way through the boards.

Ouch! I did drill all the way though a stud once, with a spade bit, with the drill in reverse. I kept thinking, "What a tough piece of wood!" When I went to drill the next hole, I realized the switch was set to R.