I Think It's Sighted In

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a couple of chances to take my newly-revamped purple Ruger 10/22 shooting, and I think I've got the scope pretty well dialed in now. The scope is intended to be sighted in at 50 yards, so the first day out, my nephew and I took it to the outdoor range and shot at that distance. We weren't getting extraordinarily tight groups, but we also had some gusty winds to deal with.

Last night, I took the rifle to the indoor range. The longest distance I can shoot there is 25 yards, but I'm pretty happy with how it did.

Here's 10 shots at 25 yards. The red ring is 0.9 inches across. I had one stray that was my fault, not the rifle's:

10 rounds at 25 yards 750.jpg

And a 3 shot group with a dime for comparison:

3 rounds at 25 yards 400.jpg

That should do for my needs. :D

:rofl:Good shooting. But "purple"? Oh, I forgot.....you are in California. :rolleyes:

I'm in New Mexico now, Frank. ;) And you're talking about the guy who has a purple dust collector in his shop. :D I think Ken Cook summed it up nicely when he dubbed this rifle the "one eyed, new barreled, flying purple varmint eater".

we had a guy in the muzzle loading club i belonged to, who used to really annoy people at competitions by putting all 3 40 cal balls through the same hole, at 25 yards, offhand, with a flintlock rifle.... uff da!

Wow you good. Thats got to be a load of fun.

Vaughn whats the cost like to shoot at an indoor or outdoor range like? I got zero idea. Does it change at all with calibre size? What is typical max calibre? Do these ranges have guns one can hire to shoot with? or is it bring y o gun. Do they sell ammo?

Just thinking if its possible to do this as a tourist. ;):)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Vaughn whats the cost like to shoot at an indoor or outdoor range like? I got zero idea. Does it change at all with calibre size? What is typical max calibre? Do these ranges have guns one can hire to shoot with? or is it bring y o gun. Do they sell ammo?

I know you asked Vaughn, but what the hey. ;) Most indoor ranges, not part of a police department or whatever, are private businesses. Fees vary with each range and location. Some rent firearms, some don't. Many require you to purchase your ammunition from them for safety purposes. It is a good opportunity for city dwellers to get in some shooting and learn. I'm fortunate to be able to step out my backdoor and shoot whatever, whenever I want.

Rob come visit me and we'll go out and shot some targets, If my .44 mag does,'t do it for ya then I am sure my son will let ya shoot one of his 7mm rifles or if ya pref I know where you can rent a .50 cal machine gun.

Don give me half a chance. As soon as i get me my passport then i will be getting out and about more and coming down to visit. Theres a long list of people i gotta meet here before i get to kick the bucket. So i will take ya up on that offer before ya knows it.
Thanks for the generous offee.

Frank's post pretty much covered it. They vary from one place to the next.

The indoor range I've gone to in Burbank charges $18 per visit, plus a couple of bucks for each target you want to use. For $250, you can become a member (for a year) and use the range for free whenever you want. They have pretty tight restrictions on what ammo you can shoot, but sell overpriced factory reloaded ammo for those who don't have their own approved ammo. They only allow handguns and rimfire rifles. They have a variety of handguns for rent. Being in California, fully automatic weapons are out of the question.

The indoor range I've been going to in Albuquerque is similar, with a few key differences. They charge $20 per visit, but the first target is free. (I don't buy their targets, since my shooting buddy owns a print shop, and he makes all the targets we need.) They also have a membership plan for about $250. I got in on a group deal, so I paid about $200 for my yearly membership. (It has already paid for itself, since I've been there more than 10 times.) They are much less limited on what ammo can be used, although they don't allow tracer rounds or steel bullets that can cause a spark. They allow handguns, rimfire rifles, and centerfire rifles. (At least up to .223 caliber, but I believe I've seen guys shooting .308 caliber rifles there, too.) They are a few weeks away from opening their new location (about a mile from my house...woot!) and they will even have some shotgun lanes at the new place. They rent handguns, but also have semi- and fully automatic rifles available for rent. If you rent from them, they require you to purchase the ammo from them as well. (The rental on a fully automatic rifle is only about $20 per day, but it'll go through a LOT of ammo in a hurry.) They also have a pretty much full line gun shop on the premises, so you can buy firearms, ammo, safes, and all sorts of other accessories on-site.

The nearest outdoor range to me is owned and operated by the City of Albuquerque:

http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation/open-space/facilities/shooting-range-park/

It's less expensive, but doesn't have the amenities that the indoor ranges have. On the other hand, it's the only way to go if you're trying to sight in a rifle at any distance longer than 25 yards.

Home range here also. 357 gave way to my 44 mag which this year I purchased a 454 Casull. Nice gun, not the recoil I expected, much much less. My old S&W 41 had more recoil than the 454, but there is a lot of weight with this hand cannon!