Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard Recycling Station

Cardboard Recycling Station

So, this is the first of the 'rudimentary' projects I mentioned in the Friday thread.

Sharon was commenting on the amount of cardboard that seems to pile up out by the garbage cans and suggested that we come up with a way of handling them so that the boxes just didn't wait around until I decided to break them down and bundle them up before I took them to Recycling.

I had made a couple of door holder jigs for when I was redoing all the doors in our hallway. Basically just a couple of cutouts in some plywood with a base that would hold the doors vertical. She thought I could enlarge that concept to make something I could use to store broken down boxes in until it was time to bundle them up and haul them off.

So this is what we came up with. I had some nasty old 2x4's laying around, so I planed them up and slapped it together.

Got to try it out and it works well. Makes much tighter and neater bundles than I ever made before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW-6744.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	69646

Name:	FWW-6747.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	69645
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Pretty cool , my sister & I were just talking about this the other day...she runs a vending route and the empty box accumulation each week can be brutal...we were wondering at the time if someone makes a shredder that would handle cardboard {folded/doubled over, broken down etc} sad to say I forgot all about seeing what I could find out for her she 's young, she'll adjust Hmmm, wonder if they could be shredded, how they would do added to the compost pile

Anyways...that looks like a winner to me Brent!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

That's a great idea. I've got a half dozen boxes out in the garage that we've piled up for just in-case we need to ship something. Makes sense to store them that way.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

They can totally be shredded, and in fact, are supposed to be great for vermicomposting. I just dont have my worm bed ready quite yet.

Once I get the worm bin ready, I'll try running them through the chipper shredder, but I'm pretty sure you can just cut the cardboard into strips and the worms would do their work on it.

This will just help to make sure we reduce the amount of hillbilly our home looks like...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Thanks Brent, I do like how you can tie the bundles with your set-up, definitely less wrestling
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Just thinking aloud but something that would concertina with a lever and hinge would help add to compressing and holding them in place when there are only a couple and the wind blows.

Kinda thinking of the rams they have in the compactors.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    So, this is the first of the 'rudimentary' projects I mentioned in the Friday thread.

Sharon was commenting on the amount of cardboard that seems to pile up out by the garbage cans and suggested that we come up with a way of handling them so that the boxes just didn't wait around until I decided to break them down and bundle them up before I took them to Recycling.

Name:	FWW-6744.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	69646
    Brent, in all seriousness, that's a great solution!

however, I gotta be me...

so, if you add a top will that hold a turkey in November too?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Just thinking aloud but something that would concertina with a lever and hinge would help add to compressing and holding them in place when there are only a couple and the wind blows.

Kinda thinking of the rams they have in the compactors.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    I thought about that, but actually just doing a double wrap of the jute and pulling it tight did a good job of compressing the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    so, if you add a top will that hold a turkey in November too?
    Ohh boy. I've got a couple of other projects taking precedence, but I will get back to it one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Ohh boy. I've got a couple of other projects taking precedence, but I will get back to it one of these days.
    lol just thought I'd do my part to help out.
    -Ned

Here's how I recycle any cardboard boxes I come across. No clutter and I spread it across the lawn when it needs to be emptied.

Name:	001 (800 x 601).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	69654