Thread: cheap way to apply a formica type laminate

cheap way to apply a formica type laminate

I have some left over formica. I want to put it on the surface of a tool cabinet I am just finishing up for my shop. It isn't anything fancy but I want the top to be very durable as a large metal vice will be sitting on it from time to time.

I normally use contact cement with very good results but I don't want to spend $20+ on a can for something so small.

Any idea on what I can use instead?

Would a Qt. of contact cement do the job? It goes a long ways.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Would a Qt. of contact cement do the job? It goes a long ways.
    I didn't see any quart cans. Only the larger ones. I think they were gallons. The top is 33" by 30".
    If I could find a quart I think it would work. Though when I have used contact cement it seemed to get used up pretty quick.

The box stores, hardware stores, lumberyards, should have quarts of Weldwood solvent based contact cement.

No quarts. I did see the tag for a quart and it was $15. I opted for a spray adhesive. it was locktite medium spray adhesive. My first attempt was a disaster. I ruined the piece of formica I had when I tried to peel off the corner that touched down in the wrong place. ripped it right off.

sprayed another piece I had left over from something else and and got it in place correctly.

GOOD BOND. cost me $8. I think I used much more than I needed as one can only did about 5 square feet but $8 was a good number for this project.

It's good to know that the spray stuff will do the trick.
    Got Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    It's good to know that the spray stuff will do the trick.
    I was shocked how well it worked. In fact I suggest to anyone who is going to use it that you put on a light coat on a test piece and try it first to see how much you actually need. I think i used way more than I needed and could have had more than 1/2 a can left.

Quote Originally Posted by keith Boutselis View Post
    No quarts. I did see the tag for a quart and it was $15. I opted for a spray adhesive. it was locktite medium spray adhesive. My first attempt was a disaster. I ruined the piece of formica I had when I tried to peel off the corner that touched down in the wrong place. ripped it right off.

sprayed another piece I had left over from something else and and got it in place correctly.

GOOD BOND. cost me $8. I think I used much more than I needed as one can only did about 5 square feet but $8 was a good number for this project.
    Did you lay something on the top ....strips of wood, electric cord anything to suspend the laminate above the top to align it & then starting in the middle start sliding out the strips & pressing the laminate into contact with the top surface working your way toward the outer edges as you go? Then using a J roller or using a block of wood & hammer press it down to final bond.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Did you lay something on the top ....strips of wood, electric cord anything to suspend the laminate above the top to align it & then starting in the middle start sliding out the strips & pressing the laminate into contact with the top surface working your way toward the outer edges as you go? Then using a J roller or using a block of wood & hammer press it down to final bond.
    Not the first time

Its not like I hadn't done this before. I even had the dowels but figured I could just slap the formica into place. I was wrong.

When i did the second attempt with my second piece I laid long dowels on the surface. I just used a rag and a lot of elbow grease but got an excellent bond.

I hate it when I KNOW the tips and tricks to make things easier or more likely to be a success and for whatever reason, I shortcut is anyway. I try to keep in mind that "there's no shortcut that leads anywhere I want to go". I keep a set of strips out of an old mini blind over the rafters for such things.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke