New plastic laminate on the counter tops

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I need to replace my kitchen counter tops before the house sale closes. I have the plastic laminate and adhesive. Can I apply it over the old stuff or do I need to replace the substrate and start from scratch?

Carol you can strip the edges & back splash & sand the top laminate to give it some tooth & using the regular contact cement not the water based cement glue the ends on first & then the front Then the top & back splash.

Water based cement doesn't work well to glue laminate to laminate, according to the installers I know.

Carol you can strip the edges & back splash & sand the top laminate to give it some tooth & using the regular contact cement not the water based cement glue the ends on first & then the front Then the top & back splash.

Water based cement doesn't work well to glue laminate to laminate, according to the installers I know.

+1. I agree. You may have to remove your sink, depending on its type and how it was installed. If the current top is a "post formed" top, i.e., particle board core, rounded front edge, and integral backsplash, you won't be able to laminate it DIY, you'll have to replace it.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Thanks, guys. That just made life easier. No post formed backsplash. There is a separate piece which I will remove all together. I plan on a row of 6" tile for the backsplash when the new laminate is down. I'll have to check my adhesive.

But a few questions.

Sand with what grit for 'tooth'?

Which goes first, the edges or the top? Also, the outside corners are radius-ed. I am assuming the laminate will bend without heating or something.

Lastly, the big counter is "L" shaped and has a miter cut in the laminate. I gather I need to repeat that? I got one 12' and two 8' pieces.

Thanks, guys. That just made life easier. No post formed backsplash. There is a separate piece which I will remove all together. I plan on a row of 6" tile for the backsplash when the new laminate is down. I'll have to check my adhesive.

But a few questions.

Sand with what grit for 'tooth'?

If you're using a ROS, or a belt sander, a 50x -80x would work well.

Which goes first, the edges or the top? Also, the outside corners are radius-ed. I am assuming the laminate will bend without heating or something.

The ends first, then the front, then the top. Laminate comes in two popular sizes. For horizontal use...1/16"... like for countertops. For vertical use, 1/32". Many patterns and colors come in both thicknesses in order to get a match up. In many cases, the 1/32" will bend around a 3" radius fairly easy. If not, a warm up with a heat gun will work wonders. If you are stuck with 1/16" material, you can block sand the backside carefully to get it to bend without cracking.

Lastly, the big counter is "L" shaped and has a miter cut in the laminate. I gather I need to repeat that? I got one 12' and two 8' pieces.

Yes, that is the usual way. But, some installers prefer to use a 90 degree seam because it's shorter. Actually, I like the miter cut myself. You can use a straightedge clamped to the underside to rout the cut with a flush trim router bit. I use a 6" wide piece of ¾" plywood with a laminated edge as a straight edge. Ideally, if both pieces to be mitered can be clamped so as to permit a onetime pass at 45 degrees, the fit will be very good. Whatever happens to one side happens to the other, and they will mate. You could pre cut the laminate on a 45, leaving ¼" long. That way you aren't routing a lot of material at one time. Allow for the diameter of the bit when you do this.

When you do cut your miters, mark both sheets where they are supposed to meet before you rout, so as to align them afterward. When checking both sheets for a fit, the edge can be back filed slightly to allow the edges to mate better. You may have to file on the mating edges to get a good fit. My suggestion for installing would be to apply one sheet, with a spacer, like a ¼" dowel about 8" from the seam. Do that with the second piece. You can use ½" dowels on the rest of the sheet to keep the parts from making contact until you're ready to stick them down. Position both sheets, and very easy pull out the dowels and let the sheet touch down (in the middle of its length) but don't press it down. When the miter is lined up, touch down both mitered edges. You should have a small hump where the ¼" dowel was. Use that gap to force the two edges together. Then press the rest of the sheet down. If the fit was good in the beginning, you may only need what one ¼" dowel provided.

Press down with your hands from the center out to the edges to get all the air out. Then you can use a "J" roller, or a block of wood and a hammer. A general tip...when both surfaces have been coated with solvent based contact cement, it will stink like heck. So, make sure the area is well ventilated, You could get quite light headed. Before applying the laminate, be sure to check all mating surfaces for any debris, as that will show as bumps when you are done. Also check the mitered edges for any glue that would keep them from mating.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

mike to stick up for carol she has alot on her plate right now so perhaps she hasnt got there yet.. cant speak for her but can stick up for her:)
thanks for the response and info you gave her and others can benefit from it later on perhaps..

This post has been removed due to a CoC violation. The original poster will be given the opportunity to delete or edit the post at his discretion.

The Family Woodworking Admin/Mod Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike as an FYI carol has a house in Arizona she will be doing this in a few weeks she presently is residing in Nevada so It is kinda hard for her to try it out so lighten up and I am sure she will thank you once she has had a chance to try it out some time in September when she is over here.

This post has been removed for CoC violation!?! And what violation would that be? And, further, how would a member be able to usurp the duties of the duly elected moderators. Your profile does not show you to be a duly elected moderator, Mr. Agnew. If there are sanctions for falsely impersonating a moderator, l would seek them against you. You have pushed my buttons, sir. You are out of line. Now, if it is any of your business, Don and Larry are correct. I was preparing for my trip to Arizona next month to attend to a number of things, including the counter top.

Color me pretty well perturbed (edited because of the CoC!). :mad:

This post has been removed for CoC violation!?! And what violation would that be? ...

Carol, I edited the post. That's why it was signed "The Family Woodworking Admin/Mod Team". My failure was in not leaving a "Reason for Editing" at the bottom so it would be more clear who had done it. I've now done that.

FWIW, the edited post was directed at Mike and had no real bearing on your question.

OK. I'll cool my jets. Thanks, guys, for your support. Did light a match under me though. :rolleyes: I'm cool, now. Adult beverage coming up later. :cool:

And Mr. Agnew, please accept my apologies for falsely thinking you were the source of my agitation.

Carol - Apology accepted. Accusations of graciouslessness should be agitating to all right thinking graceful ladies. :D