Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation preferences?

Insulation preferences?

We've been planning on using blown in cellulose insulation for our ceiling, mostly due to cheap and theoretically more efficient (no gaps). Discussing it today though, Jean and I were going through several pluses in favor of fiberglass batts- mostly that its a familar process, and can all be installed before we drywall the ceiling, and is easy to cut around some non-IC lights and the attic access.

So does anyone have opinions or experiences that might nudge me in one direction or the other?

Steve Clardy Guest
    I just had 12-14" of fiberglass insulation blown into my new shop ceiling.

Sure is comfy in here now.

40 bags were around $1100.00
    Covered 2580 sq. ft.

I thought originally about doing the batts for the ceiling. Then when I priced doing R-19 batts, versus R30 blown in, I figured I could cut some tubes and place over the 6 recessed lights I have in the shop. Don't figure it will hurt sitting on top of the flourescents. Blown in is about 1/3 for better insulation here. That is counting on getting the machine rental for free. Not sure I'll have enough bags or not. Forget what the minimum bag count is for the free rental. The price diffeence was enough to sway me over. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I kind of like fiberglass batts because I have used them alot, but my father, and our family's contracting friend swears by blown in insulation. In fact I am planning on building a big addition and the man made it a point to say that he wanted to use blown in insulation for the ceiling.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I've just been over searching the finehomebuilding forum. Man do they have A LOT to say on the subject

Just a few threads were enough to convince me to go with blown in loose fill rather than batts- mostly because insulation contractors all end up saying they use it on their own houses and only do batting on low budget jobs.

I'm too far from HD for the 1 day free blower deal to be worth it, but I think its cheap enough to not worry too much about renting it for a week.

I haven't done it yet myself, but you may need to put the styrofoam vent panels in your eaves to make sure you don't cover up your soffit vents and allow ventilation.

From my calculations it is a lot cheaper than the fiber glass. Down side is I have been told it is extremely messy for the person loading or the person doing the blowing.

Energy saving guru, Doug Rye, is a proponent of cellulose.

Blow in is good in ceilings, but not good in walls. It will settle over the years and you will end up with a hollow spot in the top of your walls. I am haveing Icynene sprayed into my home this summer.

Cellulose insulation

I used to install insulation professionally. We used to vacuum out cellulose because it loses its fire retardant ability after a few years. I literally lights off like a torch. Several times we had cellulose vender's come to try & sell us on cellulose insulation & we always showed them our test of aged cellulose insulation by taking some out of the vacuum truck hopper & dropping a match on it whoosh it was gone their embarrassed look & answer I guess I don't have much to sell do I was all we ever heard.

If you value your life, home, or shop stay away from cellulose.

The only proof of fire retardant abilities of cellulose is being able to take old & I do mean old 25 - 35 years old or older cellulose out of an old building & try & light it. No one has provided this proof to me yet.

I won't accept any other proof & you shouldn't either.

Talk & words of assurance are cheap your life & home & shop are not.

I have had insulation contractors on other forums E-mail me & tell me of their similar experiences. One told me he would only install cellulose if the person wanting it would sign a release that obsolved the contractor of all responsibility if there was a fire.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart, I heard the same thing a long time ago and forgot about it until reading your post. Thanks for that bit of info.