Learning Guitar...again

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I have several guitars around, even built a couple over the years, but I have gotten really rusty. I did take some classical guitar lessons after HS for a couple of years, but never had much formal training. I've felt like I've had a lot of gaps in my playing and needed to get back to some basics and start over. I found the following site/videos (I'm sure there are others), but have found him easy to follow and thought some of you may be up for learning too.

On each lesson he has some additional videos for learning songs using the cords/lessons taught and walks you through how each are done:
http://justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. :thumb: Justin appears to have pretty good approach...seems like his emphasis is on playing songs, not on getting mired down in theory. One of the hardest things for adults learning guitar is finding the time to practice. Try to set aside a bit of time (even 15 minutes will help) daily and make it part of your routine. Most of guitar playing isn't rocket surgery...it's just repetition and muscle memory.

When you get a bit more advanced, you can try this lesson: :D

http://youtu.be/r26JSyl4Brc

Frank is a good friend and former student of mine. (Definitely a case of the student surpassing the teacher. I can't help but brag about him a little.) And here's a video of him putting some of those techniques to use on stage:

http://youtu.be/ewl9z5-tnGg

He has been in talks for quite a while with EVH (Eddie Van Halen's company) about doing a series of instructional videos, but I'm not sure what the status is on those.

This is cool - I'll check it out when i get home tonight. I bought my first guitar when I was 19 (that was 17 years ago, good gravy...) - but never really put a ton of effort into it. Being a blues fan, once I was able to pick up a couple scales and start improvising, my playing has kinda stagnated ever since. I still sound like I've only been playing for about a year or so.

Of the things that capture my brain's attention, guitar has been the closest thing to a hobby for me, I think. Programming was/is an obsession, same with woodworking and now CNC. But guitar has been very casual and approached much less intensely so my playing hasn't really progressed much over the last ten or so years. I'd like to work on that so thanks for posting this, it sparks me to try pushing myself again.

I played guitar when I was a kid. Had a band for several years. (1965-1968) I haven't hardly touched a guitar since then but have a strong desire to give it a go again. My wife bought me a Good Times banjo about 5 years ago thinking that I would like to learn it but It's still sitting in the box unused :eek: I'm thinking about trading it in for a guitar or possibly selling it and buying a drum sander:D

Got a little practice in tonight. I ordered a Tascam US-200 a couple of days ago so I can hook up the electric guitar to the computer since my BIL "borrowed" my amp (6 years ago). I've got an old headphone amp, but the tascam will let me do a little recording and play around with some software effects (GTS Solo) via the computer.

Bob, I think you should give the banjo or guitar a whirl...though you could build a guitar and sand the body using that drum sander. ;)

That's cool Darren, but take some advice from me, do not strive for that Level Vaughn's friend Frank plays at...I never got any sleep when I was that good, dang women scratching at the door at all hours of the day & night...'Everybody want's some' :D

Enjoy the ride Darren :thumb:

I think we need boots on in this thread....cause it's gettin deep. :rofl:

Yeah, spiked rocker boots with chains and skulls and stuff. Right on, Tom! :D

(And the women clawing at the door isn't too far from the truth. I've got some um...interesting...stories, but can't really share them here.) ;)

You guys are cracking me up. :)

Already getting sore finger tips, I think I've lost my callouses I used to have for steel strings. I think I'm going to have to put together a guitar stand for my guitars next or put some wall hangers up. Almost didn't bother practicing tonight as it was too much trouble to open up the case. I think I'll stick to it more if I have them readily available.

Keep at it Darren I bought a round neck reso about 2 1/2 mo ago and have been taking lessons and having a blast. Reason for buying reso is I was afraid I couldnt fret with my shortened middle finger and figured I could convert it to play slide. Found out I could so now I have 2 guitars as I just bought a acoustic guitar and my playing time went from 15 to 20 min to now playing almost as hour before fingers are to sore to keep going. I find I pic it up 2 to 3 times a day and go 30 to 45 at a time. Just wish I had not waited until I was 60 to start.

Oh and now I am looking for a Peddle steel if anyone know of a good deal on one let me know.

I'm lucky to have 3 pluckers and had really gotten away from it for a few years. Working out of town for a few days a week leaves me few options so I bring my travel guitar and some lesson stuff. Good way to pass the time.