I'm putting the cart before the horse....

Joan Keeler

I think I'm suppose to get the lathe first and then start building my tool collection.....but, in my case I had gone to a great demonstration on Robert Sorby tools and that day they were offering a really good discount, soooooo I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy my first chisels and then some. It will be awhile before I actually have a place to set-up shop but in the mean time I'm learning alot from places like this board and some others plus for a birthday present I recieved two really good DVD's: "Turned Bowls Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine (I just finished watching this one, it was very good) and "Beyond The Basic Bowl" also by Bill Grumbine (that's for tomorrows watching). So the pics are of my first set of chisels and for that matter tools overall. I have to give a great big thanks :) to my buddy, Grizz for sharpening them, and for him and Ned for taking the pics. Unfortunately this isn't my shop (it's Grizz's), I wish I had all those tools and space....;)
chisels.jpg

chisels 2.jpg

chisels 3.jpg

chisels w.sander.jpg

tn.jpg

Wow, from what I can see in the pics it sure looks like you're set up in the chisel department, Joan. Way to go. :thumb:

We need Grizz and Ned to figure out how to post bigger pics. Here's a tutorial as a refresher. ;)

You're welcome Joan!
and for those who don't have teenage eyes... (like me unfortunately)

P1010062.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010063.jpg

Oh, and nice score on that set of sorby's!

Thanks Ned, didn't realize they would come out so small. I'm reading the tutorial now, thanks Vaughn. It's not the WHOLE catalog...hehehe. There's still all the shapeing tools and the curved ones for bowls and..........well it is a really good start.

Thanks Ned, didn't realize they would come out so small. I'm reading the tutorial now, thanks Vaughn. It's not the WHOLE catalog...hehehe. There's still all the shapeing tools and the curved ones for bowls and..........well it is a really good start.

uh oh , Grizz you've got her hooked!

Joan, you're most welcome. I couldn't see them and I KNEW what was in the images. Oh, and by the way; I'm sending you a few pen blanks with the big guy the next time I stop up to his place (likely next weekend)

Wow Ned, that's really sweet of you. Your script say 'woodworking without a shop', are you in limbo like me? Do you have a lathe? and if so, what kind?
I really appreciate the time you took today.

Joan,
no lathe, no shop, which is why I go hang out with Grizz. I've got tools, but no place to put them currently. I used to share a shop with John Shaffner, but had to break up that partnership (shop wise) a year ago because of finances and work schedule.

Great going Joan! :thumb:

I'm in the wrong business. :huh: I'm going to check with the bank Monday and see about opening a turner's rehap! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

Nice Haul!

Hello Joan,

Welcome to woodturning! Nice haul there... :) It's always nice to get new tools, you can never have too many!:D Take care and best wishes to you in all of your woodturning endeavors!

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the good wishes. Gee Curt I would LOVE to have that Oneway but I think that might be out of my league (but a girl could dream). Oh yes, Grizzly definitely put the bug in me. I don't think I've spent this much money on me in a million years. Now for a place to put them (hint, hint) :D and a chance to use them.