Spoke Shave Rack

glenn bradley

I have a few shaves around that sure come in handy. They are in the minority and seem to get moved from place to place (and will again) ;). To protect them as well as keep them handy I took a piece of mahogany scrap 1-5/8" x 1-3/8" by however long it was (finished length is 10-1/2" but extra length makes it easier to work). Drill 7/8" holes on 2" centers down the 1-5/8" face about 1/4" from the "back". Use a miter gauge on the bandsaw to cut slots to the holes at a 30* angle. Rip the piece in two and x-cut to 10-1/2" length. Glue or screw to a board and add a couple 'L' hooks in the back so it can catch some pegboard.

Spoke Shave Holder (1).jpg . Spoke Shave Holder (2).jpg

This spot is under the lumber rack and over a cabinet where I keep my shooting board and some templates. I have other peg board panels that move freely about the shop via the cleat system so I am not sure where it will finally end up. I got off work at 3pm and finished this up just now so it really isn't a time-stealer. In this weather, the shellac dried before I got my gloves off. If it keeps my spoke shaves from getting dinged it'll be worth the effort.

Nice, but now you need a more elegant hanging solution for that LV shoulder plane... :D

This started with the idea of formalizing my plane till. I got everything out on the bench to start checking dimensions . . . and then got distracted by the spoke shaves always hanging here or lying there. I am short on wall space and think I will hold off (yet again) on the plane till until I re-org the shop a it more . . . it never really ends, does it?