Jet/Powermatic 15%

Compared to other lathes in that same power/swing/weight class, that's not a bad price. ;)

Its competitive with the OneWay 2436 and the big Robust at that price, the regular price seems perhaps a little high (although I haven't priced the included options.. because I ain't going there anytime soon. I don't need it and more importantly loml would pretty much kill me - she rolled her eyes and dealt with the 3520 and its all the lathe I can handle for the foreseeable future. I just like drooling over the pictures :D) Personally of the three I find the American Beauty to have more sex appeal but you're in such rarefied territory that they're all pretty sweet...

I'm betting you want a VB36 :D Or maybe a nice big custom Concrete jobbie (that would be fun to make sometime).

Nah, I'm with you on the Robust. I think that would be my lathe of choice if I had the budget for it. For now, though, the 3520 has me well covered. :thumb:

I saw a lot of turners bashing the 4224 when it first came out, complaining that it was way too expensive, then in the next breath they'd say they would buy some other $6000 - $8000 lathe. I suspect the 4224 is on par with any of the big boys, and it does have a few neat features built in.

Yah don't get me wrong if a 4224 (b or not) crawled into bed with me I'd snuggle that sucker all night long (might even take my sleeping bag out to the shop to visit if thats what it preferred).. But - new - for the price I think some of the other lathes are marginally more attractive in the academic "if I had a million dollars I'd be rich" sort of noodling.