Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bose noise cancelling headphones........anyone have these and can comment

Bose noise cancelling headphones........anyone have these and can comment

I know this aint woodworking but heck i trust the guys here more than i trust anyone in stores or online.

Was wondering if any of the family members have a set of noise cancelling headphones and specifically which brand.

Have a Bday gift to purchase for my son going to University and he has mentioned he would like some noise cancelling headphones. Of course youngsters today are not cheap. But he is driven by gimmick name brands. So some groover called Dre has branded a noise cancelling headphone and called it Beats by Dre

Me i think the only brand i would look at is Bose since i have used them once in a airplane on promo. But one swallow dont make a summer so i was wondering if anyone has experience of using these frequently.

Would appreciate any input that you could offer.
    cheers

I thought about buying a pair the other day at the Jays game. I'd like to cancel out the moron who sits behind me and yells "You suck!" three times or more every half-inning.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

MP3s and Internet Radio are great for background music. When I am actively listening to something I like a little more "Fi" in my "Hi-Fi". Bose will give you a truer sound but, the Beats will make up for the sound of MP3s for most casual listeners. This sounds like one of the times when I would get the person what they "want" rather than what I think is "best".
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    I'd like to cancel out the moron who sits behind me and yells "You suck!" three times or more every half-inning.
    Here's a "Moron Canceling" Instrument

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600px-Mace_IMG_3823.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	69819
    Jesus was a Woodworker

We have several sets of these Rob, I think they are Bose 15. They are wonderful. I especially like them for air travel, as they wipe out almost all of the white noise of the aircraft, and most surrounding conversation, etc. They make the inflight movies much more enjoyable too!
    Peter

I have used them on long flights and are great for cancelling out the constant hum of jet, mechanical and conversation noise. I have also used them in data centers with the same results. Regular home use didn't seem to make as much of a difference.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

to each his own.
    I actually find the constant hum of the jet engines relaxing, it puts me to sleep.
    I find watching a movie on a flight a bit uncomfortable.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    I have used them on long flights and are great for cancelling out the constant hum of jet, mechanical and conversation noise. I have also used them in data centers with the same results. Regular home use didn't seem to make as much of a difference.
    dan you should know that there is nothing that will cancel out the noise a woman makes when we are trying to watch the game or do something other than listen to them making noise
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

larry, youre treading on thin ice right there buddy.
    Human Test Dummy

Rob,

As you are probably aware, I became deaf 2 years ago.

I have a cochlear implant for my left ear and I use the most powerful hearing aid made 2 years ago for my right ear. The right ear doesn't do much and what it does is always distorted but it does provide a very low level amount of high frequency hearing and gives me a little directionality of sound.

The biggest problem with any hearing device is background noises. The natural biophysics and function of a normal hearing ear reduces the effects of background noise naturally. Hearing devices don't do reduce the effects of background noise very well. That's why people who use HAs or CIs have problems hearing in public places like noisey restaurants etc. Engine noise on airplanes can be so distracting, that I traveled with my hearing devices, HA & CI, turned off. That does present safety problems as I couldn't hear the public announcements aboard airplanes.

At the advice of another CI implantee, I bought the Bose QC-15 noise cancelling headphones. I wear them while traveling. Placing the headphones over my CI and HA, I can plug into planes audio system and listen to music , movie audio, they eliminate the jet engine noise and I will hear the public announcements. I can put them on, turn them on without plugging them into anything and they cancel the engine noise BUT I will hear the public announements. I can listen to MP3 audio recordings on my Samsung cellphone, hear the music, not hear the engine noise and still hear the public announcements.

I wore them to the NASCAR track at Bristol, TN earlier this spring. We got in town around midnight Friday night. We attended the races on Saturday and Sunday. The QC-15 headphones worked so well reducing motor noise in "Thunder Valley" that I slept through 1/3 of Saturday's race. I did manage to stay awake through Sunday's Sprint Cup races!

They are expensive, they work well but I have also heard good things about Dr. Dre's but have no personal experience.
    Ken
    ------