Bose noise cancelling headphones........anyone have these and can comment

Rob Keeble

I know this aint woodworking but heck i trust the guys here more than i trust anyone in stores or online.

Was wondering if any of the family members have a set of noise cancelling headphones and specifically which brand.

Have a Bday gift to purchase for my son going to University and he has mentioned he would like some noise cancelling headphones. Of course youngsters today are not cheap. But he is driven by gimmick name brands. So some groover called Dre has branded a noise cancelling headphone and called it Beats by Dre

Me i think the only brand i would look at is Bose since i have used them once in a airplane on promo. But one swallow dont make a summer so i was wondering if anyone has experience of using these frequently.

Would appreciate any input that you could offer.

MP3s and Internet Radio are great for background music. When I am actively listening to something I like a little more "Fi" in my "Hi-Fi". Bose will give you a truer sound but, the Beats will make up for the sound of MP3s for most casual listeners. This sounds like one of the times when I would get the person what they "want" rather than what I think is "best".

We have several sets of these Rob, I think they are Bose 15. They are wonderful. I especially like them for air travel, as they wipe out almost all of the white noise of the aircraft, and most surrounding conversation, etc. They make the inflight movies much more enjoyable too!
Peter

I have used them on long flights and are great for cancelling out the constant hum of jet, mechanical and conversation noise. I have also used them in data centers with the same results. Regular home use didn't seem to make as much of a difference.

I have used them on long flights and are great for cancelling out the constant hum of jet, mechanical and conversation noise. I have also used them in data centers with the same results. Regular home use didn't seem to make as much of a difference.

dan you should know that there is nothing that will cancel out the noise a woman makes when we are trying to watch the game or do something other than listen to them making noise:)

Rob,

As you are probably aware, I became deaf 2 years ago.

I have a cochlear implant for my left ear and I use the most powerful hearing aid made 2 years ago for my right ear. The right ear doesn't do much and what it does is always distorted but it does provide a very low level amount of high frequency hearing and gives me a little directionality of sound.

The biggest problem with any hearing device is background noises. The natural biophysics and function of a normal hearing ear reduces the effects of background noise naturally. Hearing devices don't do reduce the effects of background noise very well. That's why people who use HAs or CIs have problems hearing in public places like noisey restaurants etc. Engine noise on airplanes can be so distracting, that I traveled with my hearing devices, HA & CI, turned off. That does present safety problems as I couldn't hear the public announcements aboard airplanes.

At the advice of another CI implantee, I bought the Bose QC-15 noise cancelling headphones. I wear them while traveling. Placing the headphones over my CI and HA, I can plug into planes audio system and listen to music , movie audio, they eliminate the jet engine noise and I will hear the public announcements. I can put them on, turn them on without plugging them into anything and they cancel the engine noise BUT I will hear the public announements. I can listen to MP3 audio recordings on my Samsung cellphone, hear the music, not hear the engine noise and still hear the public announcements.

I wore them to the NASCAR track at Bristol, TN earlier this spring. We got in town around midnight Friday night. We attended the races on Saturday and Sunday. The QC-15 headphones worked so well reducing motor noise in "Thunder Valley" that I slept through 1/3 of Saturday's race.:eek: I did manage to stay awake through Sunday's Sprint Cup races!:D

They are expensive, they work well but I have also heard good things about Dr. Dre's but have no personal experience.

Rob,

I've also got the Bose QC-15s, and absolutely love 'em. Like others have said, they don't block out all noise, but work great on regular, sustained noise like on planes & trains. I never realized the effect that noise can have on you until the first time I wore a pair of NR headphones on a coast-to-coast flight…I got off that flight feeling much better than ever before.

--dave

--dave

I just got a pair about 2 months ago and have been doing a lot of travelling since. I love them, not only on planes but in the hotel. But know that they are not designed to cancel out voices and they won't work to replace hearing protection. Mine are he QC15.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Glenn you hit the Jackpot again for my needs. He ended up with the Dr Drea equivalent of the bose c15 unit. That was after three stops at three different best buys on the way to Kingston. To say he tested me is putting it so mildly its not true. But if you want to hear base in yoir music the Dr dreas are just the ticket.
Told him he best make agreat deal of coin because he is gonna need to pay for new ears before he is 25 .

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Ken i tried. I even told him about you and i told him of an experience i had in the military.

I was posted to a electronic warfare bush camp during my military years. Well one guy who worked our monitoring and searching radios had his whole future career taken from him.
They would work shifts of 4 hours on 4 hours off round the clock. All this time they had headphones on over their heads (we talking commercial types and good quality ones for the days.) Well the constant noise in this guys head led to him being deaf by the end of his service period. He was a brand new graduate from University and had studied to be a preacher. Could not even get out and start his life. And that noise was not even loud or "pump up beats" .

I think investing in the company that supplied you implant Ken is going to be a really good investment. I foresee a whole generation of people with implants in the future. The marketing forces that compel the use of this equipment outweigh any and all common sense and intellect.

But lets remember there is a reason the military likes to get their hands on youngsters. At 18 every man thinks he is invincible so no bullet is gonna get him right? Same applies to his though on ears.
They gonna last him a lifetime of abuse .......yeah right.

The Afrikaner is South Africa had a good saying " As jy nie will hoor nie moet jy voel" translated it means if you dont want to hear you gonna have to feel it.

Now that usually would apply to little kids getting a spanking if they did not listen to parents, but in this case the guy is big enough to give me a spanking so he will just have to experience the consequences of his actions.