Thread: Big sander

Big sander

Just sold my 26inch drum sander. Hope I don't miss it?? Haven't really used it much after getting my planer. Do you guys use a wide belt sander much?

I have a 38 inch woodmaster that I use extensively when building cabinets. It goes hand in hand with my planer. No planer will leave stock mark free and the drum or belt gets rid of the mill marks left over and facilitates final sanding much more quickly.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

I only use my 22-44 on wide panels or table tops.
    the smaller panels I just run through the planer and sand with orbital.
    I find the 22-44 leaves sanding marks, fine lines running the length of the surface, that have to be sanded out with the orbital, so timewise, same difference for me.
    Human Test Dummy

I don't have one but it is on the very top of my wish list.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I don't have one but it is on the very top of my wish list.
    Ditto, my planer tears out so badly on any figured wood, I really will have to get a drum sander, or give up on nicely figured wood....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I agree with Allen on the sanding lines that the drum sander left on the wood. I will say the wood has a flat surface feel / look after going thur it. Mine was a 26 woodmaster. Yea Stuart figure wood will be a problem from now on. But I don't work with curly maple on flat work to often, mostly use it on gunstocks only. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it but I really need the room! That's why I am selling some other tools. I have already added on my shop two times. Wife say no more? LOL of course adding a custom frame shop is what really took most of my room up. Maybe that's what needs to go!
    Last edited by ken lutes; 08-20-2012 at 12:43 PM.

ken, you should list on here what you have to part with..there are folks here looking for more tools
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have an 18/36 and I use it on glue ups all the time. I do hate the lateral marks like others have mentioned but after taking the time to glue up a panel (I do have a 20" planer) I dread the thought of getting tear out or snipe from the planer. The drum sander takes care of the glue lines and if I take the time to go to a lighter grit paper after my first sanding then there is much less time with the orbit sander.

My dream is to have a 48" double drum sander with digital mechanical controls. I would love that. I would need to get a separate building to use it in because I don't have room for such a thing but I would love it. Then I would need a new house to live in because I think that would be the last 10 straws with my wife's patience

Guess its too expensive.

My 50" wood master sander gets a good work out. Still waiting for the day I can get a wide belt sander and dump the drum sander. I have several wood workers who stop over on regular bases to rent time on it.