Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handsaws- storgae and how many

handsaws- storgae and how many

well , ken has been at my shop and when ken comes in your shop it instantly gets a dose of "hand toolitis" so the last time he was here he looked at some of my old passed down handsaws, and i had used them in the past, not always for the right thing but i used them just the same,.. well to make this story short,, i had real good need for one the other day and used one for the purpose intended.. now i am needing to know how many of these one should have to be well fitted not a collection just the basic use,, and then how do you store them.. and i dont want to think about how many i have passed by in sales because i didnt think i need any also if anyone here knows how to sharpen one and is coming to the gatherun bring your stuff i got one that needs work
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hand saw? Shoot if it don't have a plug it's no use to me! All the ones I have are for emergency use only as in the power is out for the foreseeable future and I need to cut up a fallen tree and the chain saw won't start.

I take a cheap old handsaw with me to the lumberyard in case he only has 12 footers, I have to cut them down to take them home, they wont use a power tool because of liability insurance.
    I did use my mitre saw a few years ago, other than that, I dont think I use a handsaw for anything.
    Human Test Dummy

Well now Larry that's a loaded question. I can see needing several different back saws for different size work items. a good rip saw a good cross cut saw. A flush cut saw at least 3 or 4 different ones. And if ya don't have a set of pull saws well that just wont do.
    As for storage most come with a hole in them for hanging. So your going to need some peg board and hooks.
    Now we get to the sharpening best method I have found is to toss old one in dump and jump in the truck run down to the store and fetch up a new one.
    Yup I have all them different saw and only use the pull saws on a regular day. Most are stored in a box under the bench behind the sandpaper.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I have a dozen or so that I inherited from my dad. Most of these are on the order of 80 - 90 years old. One is a collectible Disston Acme 120 crosscut in the neighborhood of 10-11 tpi. There are probably only two or three people in the country qualified to sharpen it (and one of them just died), and I'm not one of them. A serious estimate for resharpening that one is $200, so it will have to wait for a bit.

What you need:
    Crosscut: 8, 10 and 12 tpi
    Rip: 4 and 6 tpi
    Backsaw: 12 - 14 tpi

dovetail: crosscut and rip, in the range of 14 - 16 tpi

It's also handy to have a carcase saw. They're relatively fine back saws that are longer than dovetail saws.

Oh yeah, I also have a MF Acme Langdon miter saw that beats the dickens out of a chop saw for accuracy. And before you pounce, I have a Makita 1013 SCMS that I love.

I also have a dozuki and ryoba that get less use because I've not learned to use them properly.

I use all mine. They hang on dowels drilled into the ceiling joists. A proper saw till is the way to go, though, once I get a round tuit.

With the exception of the Acme 120 and the Japanese saws, I'm learning to sharpen my own saws. The price is right and all it takes is a little time. There are plenty of really good instructional DVDs out there plus a lot of good sites on the intertubes to show you how.
    Last edited by Bruce Haugen; 08-21-2012 at 08:45 AM.

I only have a few smaller handsaws but, with Gary Z's influence I can see another couple in the future. Sorry to send a shudder through the crowd who own upper end or well revered saws but, my dozuki and small gent's saws hang from a small screw-eye in the end of the handle.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'll add to the list...a coping saw, and possibly a see-saw for those debatable and/or moody times
    FWIW, mine hang from pegs as well.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

thanks guys.. nowi have another to get list started,, thanks ken for inflicting this toolitis in me

Larry, you're welcome. You shoulda known it was contagious......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saw till 8:12.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	69882
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Larry, you're welcome. You shoulda known it was contagious......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saw till 8:12.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	69882
    ok that shows us the little saws not how about your bigger saws