Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music box

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

Music box

One of these days I'm going to try my hand at building an acoustic guitar...until that day comes, I'll keep dabbling along the learning curve.
    This was a blast, even with the ups & downs...ups are, that it sounds good, downs were too many to list main ones being, I burnt up both the piezos
    by using too high of a setting on my soldering iron and it looks like both of the used pots for the volume & tone are no good..oh well, I by-passed it all & went straight from the input jack to the magnetic pick-up...now I just need to break in these new strings so they'll stay in tune long enough to post a sound sample...don't get excited, I'm not going to try singing

Here's a quick finished{for now} shot Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-pix 001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	69872 I don't know where or how, but it seems I missed a step or two in the finishing of the headstock...probably forgot the BLO

and here's a video link of my adventure for anyone who's interested.

Edit: forgot to add...this was made from a junk picked cedar chest, & some of Larry's chocolate
    Last edited by Ken Cook; 08-21-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

That's awesome Ken
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bravo !!!!!!

Ken if there was a prize for project of the year i think you got it in that there guitar. Well done.

The ingenuity you have is incredible would like to see the pics in the video by themselves. Video is excellent too.

I thought i recognised the chocolate you can easily spot MI grey beard chocolate its in a class of its own.

Really sorry to hear about the piezos, was looking forward to hearing how they work out.
    cheers

Thanks guys, I do plan on replacing the piezo's & the pot's, already planning on the next build as well
    Rob, here's a link to the photo's, let the scrutiny begin

That's a beaut! Nicely done. I've made several and they are great fun. Got to finish up one I started for my grandson about a year ago. I had as much fun collecting cigar boxes as I did building the guitars. Still have about 30 boxes.
    "We the People ......"

Ken I think you've got a real talent for building these. When are you opening the custom shop? Loved the nail frets btw.

Just curious, what tuning you're using for the strings?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I dont understand how anyone could let getting Cigar Boxes for CBG's get out of hand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1838.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	69877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1837.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	69878

Thats not counting the 10 or 12 in the shop waiting finish

And Nice job Ken I like it
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 08-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Very cool, Ken. Like Darren, I think the nail frets are great, too.

If we ever meet in up person (or if I was to get off my lazy butt and make a video), I can show you a fast trick for seating new strings so they won't slip or need any real breaking in period. Back in my band days, I could restring a guitar during a 15 minute break and still have enough time to go out and have a smoke before it was time to get back on stage. And the guitar would stay in tune for a whole 45 minute set.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Do you CBG makers post over on Cigar Box Nation? If so what are your usernames over there. I'd like to see pictures of your builds if you have them posted. Mine is 'Paul Doug' over there. My main problem is I can't play. Zero musical ability.
    "We the People ......"

Thanks again guys, appreciated!

Darren, I'm using open G {GDG using the 3rd, 4th & 5th strings}

Jay, no wonder I can't find any Nah, there's plenty around here, just wanted the first to be unique if you know what I mean

Vaughn, I look forward to both someday

Paul I don't participate 'yet' over at CBN, Jay recently turned me onto that site, I need to spend some more time there and see how things flow.

Here's a small taste sound-wise...first time in any open tuning, and a long time since I held a slide...but it brought a smile to me...I was playing thru Native
    Instruments 'Guitar Rig' app. Version 1.1{way old} using a setting named BBBlues

Sound clip