Music box

One of these days I'm going to try my hand at building an acoustic guitar...until that day comes, I'll keep dabbling along the learning curve.
This was a blast, even with the ups & downs...ups are, that it sounds good, downs were too many to list :eek: :rofl: main ones being, I burnt up both the piezos
by using too high of a setting on my soldering iron :bang: and it looks like both of the used pots for the volume & tone are no good..oh well, I by-passed it all & went straight from the input jack to the magnetic pick-up...now I just need to break in these new strings so they'll stay in tune long enough to post a sound sample...don't get excited, I'm not going to try singing :rofl:

Here's a quick finished{for now} shot mini-pix 001.jpg I don't know where or how, but it seems I missed a step or two in the finishing of the headstock...probably forgot the BLO :doh:

and here's a video link of my adventure for anyone who's interested.

:guitar::headbang:

Edit: forgot to add...this was made from a junk picked cedar chest, & some of Larry's chocolate :D

Last edited:
:clap:Bravo !!!!!! :clap:

Ken if there was a prize for project of the year i think you got it in that there guitar. :thumb:Well done. :congrats:

The ingenuity you have is incredible would like to see the pics in the video by themselves. Video is excellent too.:headbang:

I thought i recognised the chocolate you can easily spot MI grey beard chocolate its in a class of its own. ;):D

Really sorry to hear about the piezos, was looking forward to hearing how they work out.

That's a beaut! Nicely done. I've made several and they are great fun. Got to finish up one I started for my grandson about a year ago. I had as much fun collecting cigar boxes as I did building the guitars. Still have about 30 boxes.

Ken I think you've got a real talent for building these. When are you opening the custom shop? Loved the nail frets btw.

Just curious, what tuning you're using for the strings?

Very cool, Ken. :thumb: Like Darren, I think the nail frets are great, too.

If we ever meet in up person (or if I was to get off my lazy butt and make a video), I can show you a fast trick for seating new strings so they won't slip or need any real breaking in period. Back in my band days, I could restring a guitar during a 15 minute break and still have enough time to go out and have a smoke before it was time to get back on stage. And the guitar would stay in tune for a whole 45 minute set. :)

Do you CBG makers post over on Cigar Box Nation? If so what are your usernames over there. I'd like to see pictures of your builds if you have them posted. Mine is 'Paul Doug' over there. My main problem is I can't play. Zero musical ability.

Thanks again guys, appreciated!

Darren, I'm using open G {GDG using the 3rd, 4th & 5th strings}

Jay, no wonder I can't find any :rofl: Nah, there's plenty around here, just wanted the first to be unique if you know what I mean ;)

Vaughn, I look forward to both someday :D

Paul I don't participate 'yet' over at CBN, Jay recently turned me onto that site, I need to spend some more time there and see how things flow.:dunno:

Here's a small taste sound-wise...first time in any open tuning, and a long time since I held a slide...but it brought a smile to me...I was playing thru Native
Instruments 'Guitar Rig' app. Version 1.1{way old} using a setting named BBBlues

Sound clip

Ken, that looks really nice. I love it. It has a great sound as well. I'm glad you did the video of making it also. That will always be nice to keep along with it so years down the road someone will know who made it. Did you sign the inside of it? I really like the sound of these. On my to-do list for sure.

Once again, thanks guys!

.....Did you sign the inside of it?.....
sort-of...I was having so much fun, I even included a makers tag that I imported my signature onto :rofl:
Key: CBS-WRC/W-P = Cigar box style-Western Red Cedar/Walnut-Prototype --- 'Casey' is just a play on my initials :D
mini-044.jpg

Darren, did you get a chance to experiment with the 'Guitar Rig'? Thanks for the link, though it'll have to hang out in my bookmarks until I upgrade my OS to meet requirements. I like being able to build the rack with whatever floats the boat at the time. Also how you can use the recorders as a sort of looper, lotz a fun :D :thumb:

Darren, did you get a chance to experiment with the 'Guitar Rig'? Thanks for the link, though it'll have to hang out in my bookmarks until I upgrade my OS to meet requirements. I like being able to build the rack with whatever floats the boat at the time. Also how you can use the recorders as a sort of looper, lotz a fun :D :thumb:

Not yet, been working on the master bath and playing around with some halloween props we just got for the upcoming party (getting organized early). Also haven't quite figured out the monitoring on the Tascam US-200. Can't seem to get any effects to play back through the speakers, just comes out the same as what it went in...still googling that issue.

Not yet, been working on the master bath and playing around with some halloween props we just got for the upcoming party (getting organized early). Also haven't quite figured out the monitoring on the Tascam US-200. Can't seem to get any effects to play back through the speakers, just comes out the same as what it went in...still googling that issue.

Darren, not sure with the latest version of GR, but on mine, under 'File' there is an 'Audio-Midi Settings' option...click that and the audio set-up window opens, check that
the 'interface' setting {under the 'Sound Card' tab} matches what your Tascam is using {I just play thru the audio card on my PC, using 'ASIO'}...Then, check under
the 'Routing' tab to make sure your input & out-puts match your set-up...hope that helps some.

Thanks Jim, your too kind Bud! But I think you spelt 'talent' wrong...should read 'fat' to be accurate :rofl: