Fair projects

Got a call from the Fair Board this afternoon...

My inlaid walnut & maple tray was selected as best of show. Comments were that the joinery fit, and finish were perfect (?!) and the inlay seams were undetectable.

The 'bow-topped' box took second place in its category. I don't have any comments about it yet.

attah boy jim,, we wont tell then you grafted that curly maple with the walnut when it was young so it would grow like that for this project:) how your neighbor do? robert..

My inlaid walnut & maple tray was selected as best of show. Comments were that the joinery fit, and finish were perfect (?!) and the inlay seams were undetectable.

The 'bow-topped' box took second place in its category. I don't have any comments about it yet.

Congratulations, Jim.

I agree that the tray is very well done. The grain is awesome, and you've "popped" it amazingly!
I also am very impressed with the bow on the bow-topped box. My one question is it looks like there is a bit of sapwood showing on the left-hand section of straight ribbon, which kind of mars the effect. Or is that just a reflection from the flash?

Congratulations, Jim.
Thanks!

...is it looks like there is a bit of sapwood showing on the left-hand section of straight ribbon, which kind of mars the effect. Or is that just a reflection from the flash?

It kinda looks like that in the photo, for sure, but I don't recall it being that way 'in real life.' I won't get it back until after Labor Day, so won't know for sure until then. I'm pretty sure it's a flash reflection, though.