Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ouch For Me in Awhile

First Ouch For Me in Awhile

I was in the shop a bit to long last night...should have shut it down and gone inside. Instead I went on the finished, well almost, cutting up some poplar for a simple box I'm making for a friend. One last rip to do. Was thinking about everything but what I was doing...only took a second but now I have a nasty 1" high, 2.5" wide bruise on my belly and a nice bruise/gash on my forearm close to my elbow. I was using a pushstick, but that was about all I was doing correctly. I was "in the line of fire", pushing to hard and my fence was pinching at the far end of the blade.(I always check to make sure the crappy fence is square before I rip something, well almost always.) I saw that was happening but decided, stupidly, to just push harder and get finished. I'm embarrased and lucky and won't be doing that again.

A new better fence has been high on the list for awhile, but common shop sense is even higher now. How many stories do I have to see on this and other forums and in mags to get it into my thick skull.

Work Safe!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

its just a iowa thing jeff,, there isnt a simple cure glad your not without a digit after this exercize..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Ow! Glad it was as minor as it turned out to be. No trips to the ER or major surgeries. I keep the remains of one of my push sticks on the wall for just that reason.
    -Ned

Sure could have been worse we learn as you learn. Get that new fence!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    How many stories do I have to see on this and other forums . . . .
    Glad that wasn't worse. I am glad we can all put our egos in check when it comes to posting safety reminders, The more the better as we are all subject to the occasional "just this once" scenario. Diligence and safety. Heal quick and thanks for the reminder.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Ouch! Glad you're OK and don't worry, the shorts should wash out. Had a co-worker remind me of that a couple of years ago, the bruise he had you could almost see the end grain in the print on his stomach. He had never been told to stand to one side of the work and not behind it. Only time I ever got a kick back was on a saw like you described, had to set the fence front and back (typical older craftsman).
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Another testimony for "Hindsight is always 20/20" ... DAMHIKT, you already know the answer -BTDT hope ya heal quickly!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Bruise will heal but the memory of the incident is going to stay fresh fro the rest of your life, which is probably a good thing.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Glad that wasn't worse. I am glad we can all put our egos in check when it comes to posting safety reminders, The more the better as we are all subject to the occasional "just this once" scenario. Diligence and safety. Heal quick and thanks for the reminder.
    Ego, is something that is not in my shop when I compare my work with most everyone else's here. I wasn't going to mention anything about my mishap, but remembered thinking about how I was doing something once and thought better after someone else posting about their own mishap.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Sorry to hear this Jeff but at least its only bruises. I do thank you like the other have said for posting this experience. I find these posts very valuable cause they have saved me on more than one occasion when i was going to be delinquent myself and do something i should not. Then i hear the words i have read here and decide i dont want to be a victim and i take that extra moment.

I think one of the best things i have learnt is to stop for the day and walk away. I never ever did this as i saw it as giving up. But i got it in my thick head to recognise it now and have no problem just calling it a day to fight again another day. Its not easy to do though.

Thanks again for the reminder.
    cheers