Thread: I inadvertantly got my son-in-law high.

I inadvertantly got my son-in-law high.

I have a new son-in-law who suffers from migraine headaches. I had a friend years ago who also suffered from this debilitating problem and she had told me that making a tea from mullein was the only thing that knocked the headache down. SO I picked a few leaves for him and a few days ago when he woke up with the headache he made the tea and drank it with his usual Excedrin pills. Went off to work and soon was so woozy and loopy that his employer sent him home from work. Said he was slurring his speech. Nathan told me he had the best sleep he has had in years, but figured he would not drink the tea before work again.

Mullein is an old world herbal remedy that seems to have few side affects with the only issue being with pregnant or nursing mothers. The seeds are also somewhat toxic and the fine red hairs on the leaves can be an irritant.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

I've never heard of mullein before. LOML is a migraine farmer...I'll look into it for her.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Huh, we used boiled Mullein leaves as a poultice but never used it as a tea, interesting. The dried stems also made fantastic "spear" when I was a kid I wonder if it reacted with the excedrin somehow, reading around I don't see anyone talking about narcotic effects.. Also sounds like you really want to filter it to avoid the hairs which makes sense I suppose, they are kind of prickly.

Another herbal tea you might not have considered is catnip, its not just for cats. About 10 years ago a family member had shingles and catnip tea was the only thing that would let her sleep (the doctors had tried her on all sorts of drugs, but I prescribed a strong cup of catnip tea before bed after that all failed and by golly it did the trick). Reportedly works for other stuff like headaches as well, but we've mostly used it as an additive to other teas if you're feeling itchy,icky,sore,whatever and can't sleep.

If his job requires passing a drug test, write down the date and amount and type of tea in the event he flunks the next test. Who knows what it will alert and how long it may stay in the body.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The friend from the past who used the tea stated that when she had a real bad migraine - the going blind throwing up version- she would put 2-3 mullein flowers in the tea and said it made her real loopy and sleepy.

here is a link to herbals used for headaches Vaughn, http://melissabarrett.hubpages.com/h...-for-Headaches . If you want to try some mullein I will be harvesting some leaves and flowers for the son-in-law and could put some in the mail. I heard somewhere that the native Indians call mullein "headache plant"
    Last edited by Paul Downes; 08-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)