Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Tractors 42" ride on

Lawn Tractors 42" ride on

This is new territory for me. Had never seen them before coming to North America.
    So what size engine what brand machine. Can get a good deal on 42" John Deere D130 what say all the experts.

I need help and guidance here please. I know its pretty basic gas engine like my motorcycle was....but there are makes and models some good some bad.
    Help family...please.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

If all you want is grass cutting, look for a ZTR (zero-turn-radius) mower. I've seen comment after comment on other forums (mostly SMC) that these things can dramatically cut down on grass mowing time -- like in half.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

well rob first thing is how much area you got to mow? then if it warrants a lawn tractor in my opinion john deere is the one to get for best value.. they hold there value very well.. also the one your looking at rob is a lesser tractor.. its a side version made to home depot or lowes specs not john deere specs .. talk with rex bloom he sells the real mccoy.. its kinda like a general international rather than a general rob.. they have cut corners somewhere to make them more affordable.. the zero turn mowers do a real nice job rob but are costly.. you need to be mowing alot of grass to make them ot a large tractor worht while.. you have seen my yard and it takes me 2 to 2.5 hrs to mow it.. not weed whack and preen everything just mow grass to a shorter level..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 08-25-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry Your doing it all wrong you have seen my yard and it take me no time at all to say boy go mow the yard.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

It does not look to be a home depot deer and it also looks that they are selling for as much as 1,500.00 USD to the lowest I found at 900.00 USD Those prices are from JD dealers that have them in the used inventory. All the reviews I found say it's a good tractor.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I'd have to agree with Larry on what you're having to mow as well as with Art about what accessories you'll want. If you're looking for accessories, you won't find too many for the zero turns. The zero's will save you about half the time, but are a little pricier. As for JD, they really hold up, but can't speak for the ones at the borg though, haven't looked very close at them. My 214 is about 30 years old and can still get a majority of the parts for it, but it's getting replaced later this year or in the spring. Good thing is that I'll get every bit of that $500 I spent on it back if not a little more since it's got new green paint and new belts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Ok this is territory that I know. The Deere units sold at the borgs are the same as at the dealers. They are marketed at the same price, this was set by Deere to protect the dealers. There are times when you will find the price at the borgs a little cheaper because they decide to knock off the setup fee. I don't know haw big of a yard you have, but would consider moving up to a 48" deck as in my opinion they do a nicer job. ( read that as a smoother and leveler cut ) I would also look at moving up to a X320 as it is a heavier built unit with a better transmission and front axle. You may want to check out the Deere dealer for used X series. Some low houred (30-50) can be had for very little more than a new D series. I have not seen too many problems with the D series yet. The L series tended to have some tranny problems. Some wouldn't go up a hill after 120 hrs. Trannies are not rebuildable in these units. The engines in the D series are B&S while the X series have a Kawasaki. This is a better engine. The up graded engine, transmission, and front axle all add to the cost, but they will live a lot longer. Not sure that they will live as long as the old 214, but then again they were bullet proof.

rob, you need to get a riding mower with at least an 8 litre engine, with a 6 speed transmission that you can double clutch with a good gear ratio for lawn mowing at a speed of not less than 60 kph. you also might want to look at the optional snow blowing package, with the 3 stage, turbo assisted boost, that will blow that snow into your neighbour's yard, 2 counties away.
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 08-25-2012 at 03:20 AM.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well rob first thing is how much area you got to mow? then if it warrants a lawn tractor in my opinion john deere is the one to get for best value.. they hold there value very well.. also the one your looking at rob is a lesser tractor.. its a side version made to home depot or lowes specs not john deere specs .. talk with rex bloom he sells the real mccoy.. its kinda like a general international rather than a general rob.. they have cut corners somewhere to make them more affordable.. the zero turn mowers do a real nice job rob but are costly.. you need to be mowing alot of grass to make them ot a large tractor worht while.. you have seen my yard and it takes me 2 to 2.5 hrs to mow it.. not weed whack and preen everything just mow grass to a shorter level..
    I beg to differ on that one there. I got 490 hours on my John Deer LA125 and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it. I got mine at home depot. It's the v twin engine with cast iron cylinders. Wouldn't own one of those single cylinder pieces of junk!

Guess someone needs to tell me whats different as its got a cast iron front axle, it actually has replaceable tie rod ends. Norma cuts 4 other properties plus ours with it.

I prefer Mr Sheep over John Deere myself, less work

Seriously the john deere tools I've had have consistently been top quality and lasted quite well. I haven't had one of their mowers (see above) but know several people who are more married to neatly groomed lawns than I am that have and haven't heard much bad.