Lawn Tractors 42" ride on

Rob,
My neighbor had a really old John Deere that I need to borrow once when my Troy-bilt was in the shop getting new belts... personally, I didn't like the mower, I didn't think it as comfortable or efficient as my Troy-bilt... I got my tractor from Lowe's when we first moved to TN in 2005... it was a return and I got it at half price... it's been a work horse for me... my yard is just over 2/3 of an acre and except for the part in front of the house it either up hill or down hill at about 30 degree angles... my tractor pulls up the hills without much difficulty and will mow the steeper parts downhill... don't try to go up hill from the road at the side of the house. At the back side of my lot, the yard is about 20 or so feet higher than the top of the house.... the only place I can't mow with the tractor is immediately behind the house where the hill starts....

Well I been watching the depot like a hawk (nah sparrow) :) and i see they got two D160 with twin engine and 48" deck going now for $2200. This was $2400 the other day when i got back from Larry and a few weeks or months prior it was $2689 way out of my budget range i set for this baby. This unit is probably overkill for me, but i dont weigh peanuts and am planning on buying a decent sized property in the future. So we planning on swooping down and buying up the D160. That will give me a good unit at good price and hey i take Jim D advice and see with a new driveway that the Landlord put down how a plough will do in winter. Just fig in our territory every drop in price is also a corresponding drop in Tax to be paid when you looking at 13% so i dont see this going any lower before the stock for the season is out. Time to fish not cut bait. :)

Got the missus approval just have to figure on how i am gonna manage to get it home with one arm. :) and gotta make space in the garage (eeekkkk)

From what i read this is a good unit in the range. Had a long look at the second hand units in our area and man second hand in Canada might as well be HD off season pricing.

If my arm were not a problem i would have taken another trip to Mi cause i plan on getting a trailer like Peter R did in the US and could have considered getting one down in the States. Then second hand may have been an option at more reasonable second hand pricing.

If i leave this to next season then i am gonna pay either more or the same for a lesser unit.

Comparing the D160 to the rest of the range the benefits seem to be the better air cleaner, twin engine and wider cutting deck with tad more power. Canada's version apparently gets a bigger fuel tank than USA.

Any final input good or bad from the family. Hope Rex dials in today to give it his blessing. :)

Gotta say never in my life did i think i would ever spring for one of these. :) Now i got the passport and the ride on mower coming. Guess I am becoming North American.:rofl::D:thumb:

My choice of 42" over 48" had to do with mobility. We have a lot of trees and the extra 4" really hampers mobility. I am happy with the 42" size. But, since I have hills, last year I had the rear tires replaced with ATV tractor treads. Made a huge difference. Wish I had done this years ago. Took almost an hour off my mowing time. I mow about 1 1/2 acres.
I do wish my mower had a suspension system. My ground is rough and any speed over 4th gear beats me up sumptin' awful.

42" is best for me as well because of the trees and other obstacles. I sure wouldn't refuse a 48" though :)

My opinion is not to buy a plow for it. Buy a snowblower. They will be much more efficient in clearing the snow. Especially a heavy deep snowfall. With the amount of snow we get I wouldn't ever consider anything but a snowblower.

Congrats on the D160. Great machine :thumb:

My Troy-bilt is a 42" and like others, I have a few trees, but more to the point, I have HILLS...a 48" might shorten the mowing time, but not sure it would be worth the extra agrivation.... when I do the front of the yard along the road, I drive up to the top of the hill, stop, check for cars coming, then drive over the edge... it's only about 15-20 feet down the hill to the road and I do have a flat ditch just about the width of the length of my tractor, but it's at least a 30 degree angle... I hear the differential or whatever it's called in the rear end clicking and clacking as it catches and switches so I don't fall off the hill into the road... I've surprised and been surprised a few times when a car will come around the curve in quick mode and there I am halfway down the slope... when I get down, I have to run to the end of the ditch and turn back up the hill... I would like a grass catcher, but not sure the tractor could handle the extra weight back up the hills.

Well before i pulled the trigger i called Lowes now i have put the purchase on hold for even a better deal. :) Hey over 50 you gotta procrastinate no?

Lowes had the same special deal HD had so it aint a special to me anymore. I am gonna hold out another week or so and see. My luck then they outta stock and i wont get one. :)
Call me speedy on the decision making. But when i drop coin like this well its like working with scarce wood. Measure 6 times and sleep on it then measure again. :)

The key to negotiating is being prepared to walk out the door. At one time, I was the owner of a Sears-Roebuck franchise store. Keeping large items in stock, like lawn tractors, from one season to the next was a money loser and hassle.
When I bought my Craftsman, it was near the end of the season. I had selected the model I was interested, went to the local Sears store and said, "I'll give you 'so much' for that tractor". Their first reaction was to say, "No way". I turned to leave and they called me back. I got my tractor at my price. Unsold merchandise is dead money.