Home invader. punched my wife in the yard. Everything ended ok for the most part

I thought pretty hard about wether I wanted to talk about this. I decided I would and figured I would put the events of this terrible incident here first.

The other night I started to wake to something very frightful. I'm not a person who scares or startles easy but this scared me pretty bad.
I stirred up at about 3AM to find that some one had entered out bedroom. I was still half asleep when I noticed the figure lurking in our room and I tried to get up quickly but couldn't. For some reason I could only move my right arm and I was very scared. He Noticed me and lunged at me grabbing ahold of my throat. My wife L, was still asleep. I was trying to fight him off but My body was mostly paralyzed. My face actually felt numb and I couldn't even speak. I was certain I was having a stroke. I needed to wake up L even though I could barely move. The intruder wasn't saying anything but moved one of his hands from my throat to my right hand to immobilized it. He was holding my wrist in one hand and my throat in the other and now I was terrified.

I have honestly NEVER felt an experience like this before. No Nightmare or personal experience could have made me prepared for this. It was dreadful. I really need to make that point. I actually thought I was dying but it was not the thought of death that scared me. It was the thought of being murdered and unable to save my wife that was the worst feeling of all and My wife was still sound asleep not knowing what horrible thing was transpiring.

Out of desperation I mustered all the strength I could in my one good limb and jerked it out of the intruders grasp. I tried to shove L to wake her but I heard her scream and start crying. For some reason my stoke seizure ended at that moment and I was able to fight back so i sat up quickly.

"Oh my goddddd. What did you do?" L moaned.
I looked around.
I was still panicking but no one was there.

I had been having a nightmare. A very very real one where a tiny part of me was actually awake. When I had flung my arm to wake up L it hit her right in the Eye.

My father recently "kicked" at an intruder in his sleep and broke a toe when he kicked the dresser in the process. So yes...It happens.
I'm glad it was only a dream for you. Glad you are both safe although your wifs eye lost the battle.

Keith, it must be in the water or something. I was fighting someone in my sleep about a month ago and hit my wife on the shoulder. Hard enough for her to say, "Ow!" and wake me up. We laugh about it now, but it wasn't so funny then. The weird thing is, I don't fight (or haven't in years).

But I'm glad she wasn't hurt, Keith!

I think what you have is sleep paralysis. I've had it 3-4 times in my life and it can scare the be-jeebies out of you if you are unaware of what is going on. My first time I thought I was paralyzed from the neck down and had to fight to get back to full conciousness. A few times it caught me by surprise and my arms went flailing as I thought I was passing to the next world (maybe I didn't like what I saw :huh: :rofl::rofl:). Sometimes when I'm really tired I even get afraid to fall asleep as I think it will happen again. It runs in families which explains why three out of us four siblings have had it now and then.

Don't worry, it's not considered a dangerous health problem, well not for you, but maybe your spouse :rofl::rofl:

My wife and I hadn't been married very long. One morning when I woke up she asked me what the heck was I doing in the middle of the night. I had no clue what she was talking about. She said she woke up and I was standing beside the bed bending over like I was picking something up. She said she asked me what I was doing and said I told her I was picking up cannon balls! My daughter asked me the other day who won? I said what do you mean? She said the football game(I coach high school ball). I had fallen asleep on the couch and she said I was playing a football game in my sleep. I don't remember any of it. I've done stuff like this for years. I've never had the paralysis though. That would scare the crap out of me!

That's some scary stuff Keith :eek: I can't imagine the terror you went through. From others responses I guess it's not that uncommon.

My wife told me that I was trying to sell her Hilti tools in my sleep one night:doh:

I think what you have is sleep paralysis. I've had it 3-4 times in my life and it can scare the be-jeebies out of you if you are unaware of what is going on. My first time I thought I was paralyzed from the neck down and had to fight to get back to full conciousness. A few times it caught me by surprise and my arms went flailing as I thought I was passing to the next world (maybe I didn't like what I saw :huh: :rofl::rofl:). Sometimes when I'm really tired I even get afraid to fall asleep as I think it will happen again. It runs in families which explains why three out of us four siblings have had it now and then.

Don't worry, it's not considered a dangerous health problem, well not for you, but maybe your spouse :rofl::rofl:

I have had sleep paralysis before sharon. My experiences seem a lot like what you described. I'm not sure if thats the tech name either but it has happened at least 20 time to me. The first time I had it It seemed to make me angry more than anything. The thing is I almost never remember what it is until after I wake up. I have had it where I thought there was a presence in the room with me and even a few times where I felt I was floating around my house (yes folks it feels as bizarre as it sounds) and it has always been a little un nerving but this was an experience I hope I never ever feel again.

The odd dream of being attacked while being paralyzed was unlike anything in the past. I was certain it was happening and it all had the other worldly (or under world like) feeling.

the other episodes felt more like the fun fear of a scary movie or a really good haunted house or ghost story. This was almost un explainable.

And that feeling lasted for a couple of hours. that was the worst part. I got out of bed , after apologizing to L a few times, and every corner of the house I got near made me feel like some one was going to attack me. I had to look around me every few minutes until it wore off.

Sleeping pills like Ambien have been known to cause all kinds of interesting sleep walking type episodes.... it's especially interesting for folks who sleep nude and wonder around hotels in the buff. :rolleyes:

My ex-husband once gave me a bloody nose thrashing around. In his sleep, he said. The second time he tried, he wasn't asleep. That was also the last time. I am not into abuse. Of course, the operative word here is EX-husband!