My long term woodworking project...

This just is not good. I am in the beginning stages of an 18 year woodworking project. That project is to transform my daughter into a woodworker. Toi be honest with you, I am overwhelmed by it.

The other day I took her into the shop to show here around. For starters I had to lug her around because she is not self propelled yet...she is only 7 months old. Still my hopes were looking up when she swept her arm across the bench and grabbed a piece of scrap wood. That was a good sign, until she proceeded to stick it in her mouth and knaw on it. Then she found out that thumping it on the bench made for a loud sound that she liked. So was swinging it around and smacking daddy (aka: da da) on the head.

Finally she grew tired of that and tried to reach for my glue bottle. It took her ten tries to reach for it with any accuracy because her hand-eye coordination skills are still pretty bad. At the same time all my safety gear, ear muffs, safety glasses, and goves did not fit her. So you can see, this long term project is frustrating.

I guess this is a great time to say, for all you woodworkers out there that are teachers teaching our youth to make two pieces of wood into something, God bless you. This society really needs you and you have my respect. For you parents out there that have managed to instill the love of wood into your children, you also have my respect. But for you parents that have been able to build bird houses, doll houses, cradles and toy chests with, and for, your children and grandchildren. I truly admire you and am very jealous As it looks right now, it will be a long time before this little girl has the motor skills to cut to a line and chisel out dovetails. Heck as it is right now, her projects will have teeth marks on them (two to be exact), have dents from where she banged them on the bench, and have nasty glue marks all over the wood. Still something tells me she is still a great long term project.

(Thanks for letting me post this light-hearted and humorous post fellow woodworkers. I just wanted to make some of you smile today and to think about our children in the context of woodworking).

Alyson_On_Sled-454x277.jpg

Kudos to you Travis for thinking about it!!

I think that she will get into the swing of things at some point.......just wait until she discovers the Hammer :eek: :rofl:

When my kids were younger, they just LOVED to pound nails into a big chunk of 4x4, I mean the LOVED it. I got them some of the smaller safety glasses put their names on them, and the small ear muffs too.

They don't get down to the Dungeon as often as they or I would like, but when they do, we all have a good time! :thumb:

Cheers!