Lumber Storage Re-org - Sense of Accomplishment

glenn bradley

This is a little bit of a re-hash of a couple recent threads and not really a tour but . . . .

The revamped sheetgoods area, cutoff bins and small panel stash.

re-vamped wood stash (1).jpg

The overhead 'long skinny stuff' stash.

re-vamped wood stash (2).jpg

The re-purposed 'cutoff bin version 1' now serving as a 'mid-sized panel' stash.

re-vamped wood stash (3).jpg

The re-vamped small cutoffs stash.

re-vamped wood stash (4).jpg

And the same old 'itty-bitty stuff' stash that will someday draw my attention . . .

re-vamped wood stash (5).jpg

There is now room in the vertical and horizontal lumber racks for the bulk stock and the shop is in shape for the next project. I tossed out a large trash barrel full of odd pieces of un-burnable stuff and anything else is destined for dad's to be used for kindling this winter.

Last edited:
wow glenn, I just had to toss a ton of that itty bitty stuff, was tripping over the baskets, now I have alot of empty baskets.
I decided if anything sits for over 2 years, and its under a foot, less than 2 inches wide, it has to go.

Always good to get things cleaned up. Now you can find it for all of those special 'little' projects! :thumb:

glenn the last two pics will be in use over here sometime soon.. i have space like in number four and its just collecting dust may as well use i like you are..:):thumb:

wow glenn, I just had to toss a ton of that itty bitty stuff, was tripping over the baskets, now I have alot of empty baskets.
I decided if anything sits for over 2 years, and its under a foot, less than 2 inches wide, it has to go.

Amen to that Allen. Most of what went in the dumper was stuff that seemed like it should be good for something, someday. If someday doesn't come along for a couple years and I can't give it away; out is goes :thumb:

Looks good, Glenn.

Amen to that Allen. Most of what went in the dumper was stuff that seemed like it should be good for something, someday. If someday doesn't come along for a couple years and I can't give it away; out is goes :thumb:

I've got a couple of bins of that kind of stuff I need to get rid of. Tired of having it in the way.

I have my son and 4 neighbors that have the backyard fire pits/woodburning stoves, so Ive been keeping them flush with kindling and bigger pieces all summer.
It gets to the point that I get kind of nervous trying to work with such small pieces. Its one thing to cut out a small piece on the bandsaw, but if I start with a small piece, its tough for me to hold and feel comfortable.
Ive been saving smaller pieces to make some toys, cutting boards, but when I looked the other day, I had strips to make 125 cutting boards, and enough toy cars to more than use up all the little wheels I purchased, so out it had to go.

How do you spell OCD? ;)

No really Glenn, I'm envious. I have scraps all over the place, and though I made a bin somewhat like your #3, it is cluttered and overflowing. If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to you.

Just to keep that OCD thing going; I took after the horizontal and vertical storage areas. Now there are only a few minor pieces of lumber not in a rack of some kind :thumb:.

Lumber Storage Reorg (1).jpg . Lumber Storage Reorg (2).jpg

Sure am kicking myself for not going with that 6 extra feet when Norma built my shop. I could have organized mine as nice as Glenn has done to his.:thumb: