Thread: Information about The Villages in Florida

Tokyo, Japan

Information about The Villages in Florida

A friend of mine and his wife are going to retire to The Villages about an hour outside Daytona. Does anyone have experience with the community? I looked on line and they have an 8,000 sq ft woodworking facility. Cost is $155 to join and dues of $55 a year. Overall, looks great. Also, does anyone know of other places like this around the country?

Obviously, at age 65 I am thinking about moving back to my homeland after almost 40 years overseas.

Lafayette, Indiana
    Kyle, I know of two retired couples that have moved there. They all love it there. One of the couples say they play golf there most every day. I did not know of the woodworking shop though.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    It is the largest such facility in the country. Arizona has some similar retirement communities.
    I'm sure it is not an inexpensive place to live. PM coming with other info.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank is right a number of the retirement communities in Arizona have common shops, my lunber supplier has a Flat bed he loads up with hardwood and BB ply and he makes the rounds of them once a week so they don't even have to go shopping.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Melbourne, FL
    Very warm in the summer.

I am on the Space Coast and we get a little sea breeze.

Compared to the East Coast, Central Florida is usually a few degrees warmer in the summer and a few degrees cooler in the winter.

I would bet most winters Ocala gets a few mornings where you can see frost or even ice on the ground.

On the coast (Melbourne, Fl ) frost is rare and real ice is very rare. Both do happen but not very often.

Long Island, NY
    I have a Golf buddy who loves it there. I "winter" on the West coast of FL, but The Villages is/are huge - could be a state within a state. I am sure they have everything most retirees could want.