Information about The Villages in Florida

Kyle Murphy

A friend of mine and his wife are going to retire to The Villages about an hour outside Daytona. Does anyone have experience with the community? I looked on line and they have an 8,000 sq ft woodworking facility. Cost is $155 to join and dues of $55 a year. Overall, looks great. Also, does anyone know of other places like this around the country?

Obviously, at age 65 I am thinking about moving back to my homeland after almost 40 years overseas.

Kyle, I know of two retired couples that have moved there. They all love it there. One of the couples say they play golf there most every day. I did not know of the woodworking shop though.

Very warm in the summer.

I am on the Space Coast and we get a little sea breeze.

Compared to the East Coast, Central Florida is usually a few degrees warmer in the summer and a few degrees cooler in the winter.

I would bet most winters Ocala gets a few mornings where you can see frost or even ice on the ground.

On the coast (Melbourne, Fl ) frost is rare and real ice is very rare. Both do happen but not very often.

I have a Golf buddy who loves it there. I "winter" on the West coast of FL, but The Villages is/are huge - could be a state within a state. I am sure they have everything most retirees could want.