what would you do

alot of people thrive on confrontation, only because they have no lives, and they need to feel important.
I believe the first attempted solution is to try to reassure the neigbhor its not a constant thing.
what good will come out of not being friendly with a neighbor. the constant stress is not good, btdt.

Sorry to hear of this trouble Larry. Sounds like these neighbors are real low-lifes. From what you wrote, it seems like Charlie's behavior is within the normal and acceptable range for dogs. Best to ignore the folks, or maybe yes them on the phone, and continue doing what you are doing. I'd also echo the advice to make sure Charlie is safe.

I like the shock collar idea. For the neighbor. :rofl:

When we moved into our house, the next door neighbor's dogs would sit 8' from our bedroom window and bark non-stop for 30 to 60 minutes at a spell, night or day. The neighbors claimed they didn't hear it (their bedroom was on the other side of their house), but after several late-night visits to their house to complain, they started keeping the dogs indoors more often.

Larry, in your case it doesn't sound like Charlie's barking is excessive, but in addition to ignoring the neighbors, I'd try to be more aware of the times Charlie's making noise, and handle it when possible. (Which I suspect you're already doing.)

like i have told some there is a history of this family that we dont have time write and read.. so i will try to keep him under more control but i wont back down from this woman!!! and i didnt from her father and mother either!!!

I work 5 night shifts every 3 weeks, and used to find sleeping during the day really tough. A pair of soft foam ear plugs and some white noise from a fan works wonders blocking out the world. I'd tell them that you'll try to keep the dog quiet, but would offer the ear plug suggestion for those trying to sleep during the day.

Here's the problem. The solitude of country living with the occasional chirp of a bird, call of a coyote or the bark of a dog, is certainly more stark to the senses than the mind-numbing boomph ba boomph boomph coming from the non-stop white noise effect of cars passing in front of your house all day in the city. I suggest a chill pill.

I'd take up the bagpipes and practice in the early morning, just after the noise bylaw hour ends. If you took to wearing the kilt when you play I'll bet Charlie would willingly croon along as you proudly skirl and sway along the fence line.