Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit advice

Router bit advice

I am working on a Bubinga table with a 2" top. Busy joining the top now for width. The top is 2.8m long, and because I couldn't get planks that long I have to join them in the lengthn as well. So I start with two planks in length and two in width, glue them with Festo dominos and let it dry. Then I use a straight edge with a router to cut the edges true, and join one extra set onto it. SO it is one plank per evening in width.

My question is - the router bit I currently use is old and blunt, and although I sharpen it frequently it is time to replace it. So, I am looking for advice on which 1/2 shaft router bit to use. Brand? Upshear, downshear or straight? Do you get bits with 3 cutting surfaces? It must be able to cut more than 2" high.

Thanks.
    Uys

Uys is pronounced "Ace" - it's Dutch

I have a Whiteside router bit, RU5150, 1/2" shank, 1-1/2" cutting length, spiral upcut, solid carbide. It is absolutely fabulous, sharp as the dickens and stays that way. It is available in a 2" length. With a good straight edge, it would do what you propose.

I buy most of my router bits from MLCS. For your application, I'd use a downcut spiral bit like this one with a guide collar.

No affiliation with MLCS, just a very satisfied customer!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I have had this problem, as well, when I was building custom furniture for a living. You might look into 1/2" 2 flute right hand twist end mills as machinists use. For your application, the shear is irrelevant. You have much more choice in length with end mills, and here they are much less expensive than router bits. Check with a machinist for suppliers. It has been years since I bought router bits or end mills, but as I recall, end mills were about one third the cost.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Instead of using Dominoes, I would use a half lap joint. You can make the lap lengths as you want. For router bits, Amana has a very good long flush trim bit, available in a 2 or 3 flute, single or double bearings. If you use a straightedge and a flush trim bit, and the cutting length (the flutes) are a bit short, make a second pass.

+1 on Whiteside for duration of edge. I used to go through 2 - 3 of the bargain bits before the Whiteside bit would even show signs of losing its edge. I did the math and only buy bargain bits now, on clearance, when they are a few bucks; use 'em and toss 'em. Whiteside sharpens their bits for a very reasonable price as well so, you sharpen less often and less expensively as well. In the long run, you can't beat the math.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Any comments about Infinity cutting tools?

Uys is pronounced "Ace" - it's Dutch

I have not used Infinity but, many folks whom I respect on this forum speak highly of them and that's good enough for me. Fro a purely mathematical test, here's a review. Not surprisingly Whiteside and Eagle America tied as Eagle's more expensive "USA Made" bits are made by Whiteside. If you can't view the review, here's a snapshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	70025

The usual grain of salt should be applied.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I like infinety bits. I use alot of them for cabinet making. Carol is right, end mills are a great option over router bits. I used to get mine from the machine shop that did my repairs.

Carol is right, end mills are a great option over router bits.

On top of that she has the title of the Router Lady because she has taught using the router to other wood workers & written books about the routers use.

http://www.amazon.com/Router-Joinery.../dp/1579903282

http://www.woodcentral.com/books/reed.shtml

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...-by-Carol-Reed
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart