Walnut Bowl

Just a side thought not that i have a bone or artist in me but some of you spinny guys should experiment with adding a bit of metal to the bowl designs. I can see where there could be a unique look with a combo metal stand rough blacked like say blacksmith style and bowl resting in or on it somehow. The chuch attached spurred that thought. That first pic with the logo and dark wood and the chuck aint half bad. I know purists might no be happy with these comments.

If I had a place for a forge.. .. you bet I would. Not sure which is more fun the lathe or the forge, I can run a lathe in a residential area without freaking out the neighbors though so.. there it is.

With the grain pattern in this wood I think your choice of wall thickness was perfect.

Look at it as a piece of art. From the stand point of aesthetics, I don't think the bowl would be as good a piece of art if the walls were thinner; the grain pattern would not flow if the edges were even a bit thinner.

However, I did think the steel base was a bit of gross overkill.

Enjoy,

JimB

...Billy, take a look at some of my past threads and bowls. I usually go a bit thicker than most...

Yeah, I was gonna give you a hard time going so thin on this one. :D Dang thing could blow away, y'know. :rofl:

Seriously, I like your thick bowls, and this one is no exception. ;)

Jeff, could you explain how that transfer wand actually works? I have seen them advertised but until your bowl didn't know if they actually worked. Is there a steep learning curve? Need special/expensive paper to do the transfer? Enquiring mind don't ya know! Thanks in advance.

Jonathan, all you need is a reverse image of what you want to trasfer and print it on a laser printer or make copies on a laser copier. Don't put any finish on the wood before you do the transfer either. I use blue painters tape to hold it in place and then just rub the woodburner trasfer "pen" over the type or image. The ink or whatever is printed on the paper simply is transfered to the wood. You can put any finish over it as far as I know. Sometimes you might need to do a little touch up with the burner itself, but if you do it right there isn't any need for that. There is a bit of learning curve as to how long to rub in one place, the temp setting etc. but it's easy peasy. Doing it on a bowl was a little more difficult because the wood isn't flat and the paper won't lay correctly on the wood, but with such a small image on this one it worked out just fine. I've also been told it works on color laser prints/copies but haven't tried it.

Thank you Jeff, had no idea how it worked and didn't want to waste the money. Hmmmmmmmmmm, seeing a new toy errrrrrrr tool purchase on the horizon! Any suggestions of ones to stay away from or ones to purchase?