Handtools near Kansas City!!!

Wow... I always wondered what happened when a hoarder died.

"Prices firm but reasonable"

How the heck do you price a Stanley #4 when you've got 10 of 'em sitting there?

Yeah, Ken's chubby about like I'm short. :rolleyes: Plus, his hair isn't nearly as wild as Ben's. :D

I think this is in Bernie Weishapl's neighborhood. Maybe Darren's too. Maybe Ken could hire a proxy for a small fee. ;)

I stopped by this sale today. Craigslist said it started at 10:00, I got there at 10:05 and was about the 40th guy in the door. A few guys already had BOXES of stuff. Nice to see they actually started at 10! :rolleyes: They were sure firm on their prices, even if they weren't with the start time.

As I expected, there was nothing really good. The decent stuff was overpriced. There was some real junk too, but I guess that's to be expected with 100 planes + chisels, saws, etc.

I was looking for a #7 or 8 jointer plane, and ended up settling on a Miller Fall's 22c for $45 (22" equivalent to Stanley #7). Not a great price due to condition, but I needed a long plane. I think it's got the wrong tote on it and the body itself doesn't actually say "Miller's Falls" on it anywhere... many photos on the 'Net show the knob w/ Millers Falls cast around it. The body only has "Made in USA" cast on it. Thing was obviously not a user, due to the rust level. Also the blade is severely cambered... over cambered, IMHO. So that's got to be fixed...

Anyway... photos:
di-9WRR.jpg

You can see the lateral adjustment lever runs into the tote. I think the original tote was 1/2"-1" shorter.
di-HJ75.jpg

di-9RJ2.jpg

Interesting two-part hinged lever cap.
di-BAPK.jpg

Sitting in the electrolysis bath for about 4 hours. I had to rig up a new bath b/c this 22" long guy wouldn't fit in my regular bath. It looks disturbingly like pizza sauce in real life...
di-ROFU.jpg

$45 for a nice MF jointer plane seems pretty good. Maybe make yourself a new tote. Once you clean it up, the MF name and a number will probably appear just above the sole on the L cheek.