Autum leaves

Hi guys.

As I'm just arrived from my in-laws and already preparing the luggage to come and meet you, I thought I could share some pics of the project that I've been working on.
In fact the title should have been Autum leaves nigthmare, or so I thought several times while I was working on it. It is not finished at all yet, as the details take quite a while to get right. Only those few leaves on the top left corner are almost finished, although I may rework them at the end.
Here I was setting in the basig contours with my router
fulles01.jpg
Here the contours with the basic background level
fulles02.jpg
Some progress pics
fulles20.jpgfulles27.jpgfulles29.jpgfulles30.jpg
And some close-up details
fulles32.jpgfulles33.jpg
Present state, still a lot to carve
fulles34.jpg

Comments critics and suggestions are welcome, thanks for looking.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress, Toni.

An Jon, thanks for finding the tool panel thread, I had missed the fact that he'd finished it. That piece still makes me shake my head in wonderment. :thumb:

Hello Toni . . . . did you manage to find the finished work photo of this fantastic piece? Saw your equally impressive tools collection and am wondering how you transfer a photo onto your made-up panels; by use of a pantograph? or by projection? Also, do you use your router free-hand; if so, what speed rpm/watts is it and how do you manage to control it so accurately? Is the wood Linden or what the US calls Basswood? All the best, David at Matha

Wow, Toni, this is going to be another amazing project. The detail that you are able to produce is just great. I look forward to watching this one "come to life" as well.

Hello Toni . . . . did you manage to find the finished work photo of this fantastic piece? Saw your equally impressive tools collection and am wondering how you transfer a photo onto your made-up panels; by use of a pantograph? or by projection? Also, do you use your router free-hand; if so, what speed rpm/watts is it and how do you manage to control it so accurately? Is the wood Linden or what the US calls Basswood? All the best, David at Matha

Hi David.

I'm afraid I haven't finished it yet, my work keeps me away from home most of the time lately, and when I'm home I have so short time to devote to carving that by the time I get into the "mood" ( that's how I call it) I have to stop.
I use my router DEWALT 620 at medium speed free hand otherwise I would not be able to follow the intrincate shapes, I use an 8mm spiral up router bit, that allows me to get into most tight corners.

I seldom trace fotographs, usually I use them as start point and for reference. I neither project them nor use a pantograph, when I have to scale up a drawing or picture I make a grid of squares of 10 or 20mm side ( yes the old method) and transfer the drawing to a paper with the same grid but of double or triple size squares. This allows me to fine tune and modify those parts that may pose problems when carving. Like any other work, carvings need thorough planning, the more complex they are the more planning they need.

As Darren has also asked the wood in this piece is basswood, as it is on the Leek & Peppers one, on my Jeans and on the relief of my avatar. I like it because its fine grain and the fact that is is almost white with almost no difference in colour between the hard and soft grain, that only shows when oiled or dyed.

Hi Guys.

I apologize to you all for being disconnected for quite a while. So as a discharge I thoght I should post some pics.
I've done some progress on this carving that I had left sitting iddle for almost a year. I have spent a few days at my in-laws and as it was freezing outside and inside there is not much to do part from watching rubbish TV, I took it with me together with some tools and I gave it a "push". It took me a while to get into its mood again, as I have been doing other things in between, and honestly those leaves are very close to a nightmare to model, as I get lost very often, but once one gets into it it is a matter of making one leaf after the other...

IMG_4000.jpgIMG_4005.jpg

Attachments

• leaves001.jpg
    leaves001.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 29
  • leaves002.jpg
    leaves002.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Looking great Toni. I am so glad you branched out into carving. I think you have really found your woodworking forte. I just love your stuff.