Autum leaves

Thanks Al, I appreciate your enthusiam and the fact that you like it, but I still have a lot to learn.[/QUOTE]

if you still have a lot to learn, I think I should give up woodworking altogether.

you are a fine artist.

the best part for me, and Im sure others, is that you are willing to share your work here, and in progress pictures.

toni, look back at the dove and the bleach job, the dove looked better in my eyes natural than bleached but it was thers to do with as they please.. in this case its yours, my vote is to not stain it you have so much detail and crooks and crannys that to try and stain this would be a night mare.. let the wood and your art show threw naturally.

toni, look back at the dove and the bleach job, the dove looked better in my eyes natural than bleached but it was thers to do with as they please.. in this case its yours, my vote is to not stain it you have so much detail and crooks and crannys that to try and stain this would be a night mare.. let the wood and your art show threw naturally.
The dove wasn't bleached I wish it had been, it was painted with white enamel giving it a plastic feeling to it. If they had bleached it it would have looked much better IMHO.:(. The idea I am toying with is to use transparent dyes, basically yellow, ochre, and brownish red, and after give the whole thing a light coat of tung oil to protect it. As I know that I may make a terrrible mess I will not take any risk. I will make some trials on scraps of the same wood even with a couple of leaves carved on them to see the effect before deciding if I take the chance or not.
Now that you mention the dove, I'm realising how much I have learnt and improved since.