Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a (Virtual) Family Meetup

Had a (Virtual) Family Meetup

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Allen Levine, and it was almost a face-to-face meeting. We've both installed ooVoo video chat software on our laptops in preparation for the Larrylapalooza in Michigan next week, and we decided to give it a test run to make sure it works as expected. I'm here to report it worked great. Unlike Skype, the free version of the ooVoo software allows up to 12 people to be in the chat at the same time. (I believe you have to pay for the upgraded version of Skype to do multi-person chats with Skype.)

Allen was real glad to see me log in last night, because he knew right then and there that he wasn't the ugliest guy on the Internet. And you folks who will be meeting him in Michigan are going to enjoy his company. He's a fun guy with a great smile.

I encourage any of the rest of you who can't go to Michigan to grab a (free) copy of the ooVoo software and get hooked up. We're planning to do a video chat Saturday, September 8th at 8:00 PM Michigan (Eastern) time. PM Allen or me and we'll give you our contact info so you can join in on the festivities.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I don't have a laptop. Can I just buy a camera and put it in/on my tower ??? Probably a stupid question I've never had one before. Seems like they are cheap enough.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Seeing if I can find the video drivers for my web cam... Sounds like fun!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I don't have a laptop. Can I just buy a camera and put it in/on my tower ??? Probably a stupid question I've never had one before. Seems like they are cheap enough.
    you can get a decent camera for around 27 bucks, and it just plugs into the same hole as the mouse. see, Im very technical, I believe its called the usb port.or something like that.

yeah, it was pretty neat seeing vaughn, were like 2 complete opposites, hes thin with alot of hair, Im fat with no hair.
    (Im better looking though)
    anyway, it works great, and I can move my camera anywhere, so I can pan the crowd, and everyone can shout in, but Im not going to hold it all day and show the small demonstrations, sorry, Im going to hang out, not to be a cameraman.
    Human Test Dummy

Dang, My old camera isn't compatible with Win 7, so just ordered one up.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

trying to set up oovoo on the wife's laptop, so much fun... lol
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I meant to mention...

I noticed after the installation that I had a new Ask.com toolbar on my Chrome browser. I don't know if I just missed the check box to decline the "offer" or if they sneaked it in on me. Nonetheless, I killed the toolbar and all is good now. Allen told me he didn't have the toolbar. That may be because his son (who installed the software) cleaned it up before Allen saw it, or avoided having it get installed in the first place. Either way, I wanted to give you all the heads-up on the Ask.com toolbar.

Bob, you'll need both a camera and a microphone. Looks like a lot of companies make combo units, and the prices are pretty easy on the wallet:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...cam+microphone
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

There are three checkboxes on the second step to uncheck that will keep the ASK settings and software from being added (uncheck all three). I usually go into the settings afterwards and set it not to start up when windows starts up. Also under privacy, I change the settings so that either no one can see me or my information or only friends that I've added can see it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I

Bob, you'll need both a camera and a microphone. Looks like a lot of companies make combo units, and the prices are pretty easy on the wallet:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...cam+microphone

I have a headset plus several mics from my old Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty gaming days
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I've been using the logitech webcams. I've got the C310, which is a good webcam for the price ($32). It's a little grainy, but good for video chats and has a built in mic. Also have the C910 and C920 versions ($89 - $99), both have excellent quality and built in mics. Have mostly used them on xp, vista64, and windows 7.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault