Chalice and Paten for the Pastor

Chuck Ellis

The pastor at our local Presb. church dropped off a pile of wood outside my shop a couple of months back. I've found out he likes to collect the Chalice and Paten sets and has several in his office... since I usually give back a bowl or other turning to anyone who gives me wood, I decided to make him a Chalice and Paten set.... part of the wood he dropped off was a log of spalted hackberry... fantastic looking wood, but not suitable for the chalice and paten... the rest of the wood was some nice white oak, so that's what he gets... the chalice is about 7 1/2" high x just over 4" dia at the top.... the Paten (Plate) is 11 1/2 inches diameter.... finish is my old standby... Minwax wipe on polurethane... about 10 coats.

Guess I'll need to go to church soon so I can present it to him.

10-1478+40-1479_3.JPG10-1478+40-1479_0.JPG10-1478+40-1479_1.JPG10-1478+40-1479_2.JPG

Very nice. I'm sure he will appreciate. Is the chalice intended for use? Alcohol is 'h' :rolleyes: on wood finishes.

Not sure if he will actually use the chalice or not... it's finished with about 10 coats of polyurethane.... and I'm not totally sure that the liquid is actually a wine... I know in my mother's church they "wine" was just grape juice.

Not sure if he will actually use the chalice or not... it's finished with about 10 coats of polyurethane.... and I'm not totally sure that the liquid is actually a wine... I know in my mother's church they "wine" was just grape juice.

OK, I understand not all churches use wine. Any acidic liquid (orange, grape, etc.) can be hard on finishes. On my forums populated with guys who, like me, do the old timey camping and stuff, the question of finishes for noggins comes up frequently. My response is to use no finish. At these events my 40+ year old noggin will get all kinds of liquids in a days time. I learned long ago that finishes just won't work. Not much more unappetizing than looking at a cup of coffee/water/orange juice/wine, etc. and seeing gunk floating on top.