Kickback! Minimal injuries.

Ned Bulken

I was trimming down a cutting board blank to width, had finished the cut and was pushing the cutting board through the end of the cut when I must have pushed sideways 'just enough'. And I had a wooden frisbee spinning across the shop. Just barely caught my knuckle on its way by, as well as my turning muscle.

well my nerves are shot now... but I did go out and get my camera (forgot to put a chip in it)... then I cut the affected area on the board off with the bandsaw... just before I locked up the shop for the day.

groovy.jpggroovy2.jpghand .jpgkickback results.jpgknuckle bruise.jpgturning muscle.jpg

Yep, no splitter. pushing from the right of the fence (out of the line of fire, mostly) have a trophy now that I'm going to mount as a reminder.

think I'm going to go watch some football or something.

Glad it wasn't worse, but I'll echo Glenn...no splitter?
no.gif
And once again, a case is made for the Grr-rippers. (Spoken by someone who has made the same mistakes.) ;)

...My very first use of a ts taught me they are NOT cross-cut saws...

They are great crosscut saws if it's done correctly. They are electric-powered wooden missile launchers if not. ;) Here again, that's personal experience talking. (Never free-hand -- always use a miter gauge or sled -- and never use the fence on crosscuts. And treat the off-cuts like a loaded gun.)

OK, I'm gonna be your MOM now . . .

Seriously!?! After all the time on this forum . . . no splitter!?!

Glad that wasn't worse. It only takes once.

OK Uncle Glen...

i haven't got a splitter, but then again, i've never had a kickback either. heal quick ned!

Glad it wasn't worse, but I'll echo Glenn...no splitter?
no.gif
And once again, a case is made for the Grr-rippers. (Spoken by someone who has made the same mistakes.) ;)

They are great crosscut saws if it's done correctly. They are electric-powered wooden missile launchers if not. ;) Here again, that's personal experience talking. (Never free-hand -- always use a miter gauge or sled -- and never use the fence on crosscuts. And treat the off-cuts like a loaded gun.)

well, again, this was a rip cut, the problem was no splitter and poor technique. The 'only' thing I did right was stand out of the direct line of fire (mostly).

I'm going to build a home made gripper.. plans from over on lumberjocks. Who knows though, Lori might let me buy a real one.

Fixed that for ya. :D
LOL this wasn't my first kickback, but it was the first of this type... (other one was with a push stick that knicked the blade)

Glad it wasn't worse, Ned! We cannot be TOO safe!
I'll do my best.

Glad it wasn't worse Ned, heal quickly. :wave:

mostly my pride injured than anything else. the hand twinges a bit, but hasn't turned funny colors yet, the belly is under a bandage with triple antibiotics on it.

I 'shared' this to remind others to be safe. (sound familiar?)

Fixed that for ya. :D

EXCELLENT fixing Vaughn!!!

I have only had one kick back. I posted about it a year or two ago. In my wildest imaginings I could not concieve how fast it happened; the wood just vanished.

Like Dan Noren, I had used a TS for (50) years with no problems. As Glenn said, "It only takes once."

PLEASE, all of you, work safely. Fingers and eyes are precious, protect them.

Enjoy,

Mother #2, JimB

after watching that guy's videos, it's a wonder he still has all of his fingers. the first example with the router was a good one, common sense would tell you that if you send something through in the same direction as the spin of the bit, of course you're going to turn your router table into a lumber launcher. then his demos with the table saw left me wondering about this guy. how many of us, after making a rip cut, deliberately turn the part being cut deliberately into the blade? how many leave enough room between the rip fence to be able to make that turn? if i'm making a rip cut on something large or small, i don't stop until i am well clear of the blade, and even then i keep going straight.

if i'm making a rip cut on something large or small, i don't stop until i am well clear of the blade, and even then i keep going straight.

During a normal ripping operation you are correct Dan but he was demonstrating why and how a kickback happens on a table saw without a riving knife.

I have to applaud him for even posting it after he viewed and edited it. Seeing a kickback done with a piece of pink foam insulation doesn't have the same affect as seeing what happens with a real piece of wood as in this instance.

At the end of the video he also said that a riving knife would have prevented this and that he would never use the saw again without one. If you look at his website you'll also notice he got a sawstop immediately after this video.

Alan,
I've done the 'replay in my mind' thing... and the Root Cause of this one, was that I was ripping the edge of a wide blank so it would fit through the planer. so I had a full 12" of 'room' for my hand. HOwever I was pushing it through from near the fence. I put just enough sideways push on, the blade caught and zzzzip it went spinning by.

so sorry that you have to build your own grip n rip now. I'm debating if I want to do that or just shell out for the grr-ripper

maybe i've just been lucky these last 10 years or so, but i've never used a riving knife, and have never had so much as a board try to lift up, let alone kick back on me.