Laguna Tools Resaw King blade

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Last night, I was cutting up some spalted maple scraps into pen blank sizes to bring to Larry's this weekend, when - much to my surprise (and dismay!) - the three+ year old Resaw King blade broke. BTW, a 1" blade under fairly high tension makes a pretty disconcerting sound when it breaks!

The blade didn't break at the weld, and when I looked at it closer, I could see all sorts of metal fatigue cracks along the back edge of the band - like hundreds more places for potential breaks.

Anyway, I called Laguna this morning, and they confirmed that the blade was 'the old style;' three plus years old; and out of warranty. Even so, they were willing to give me about a $50.00 discount on a new one. Yeah, it's still a lot of money, but I really like that blade. It'll cut 1/16" veneer, 12" wide, that only needs a couple passes through the performax sander to be ready to use.

Even my old (and much cheaper!) Highland Woodslicer didn't cut that well, and Woodslicers only last a few hundred feet in my shop, so in the long run, the Resaw King actually comes out to be more economical.

Six Woodslicers, at about $48.00 each, (delivered) or one Resaw King at $175.00. Easy math...

My experience with the resaw King was that it was okay, especially on the special sale price I got it. The Lenox Woodmaster CT 1 inch blade gives me better results. I routinely cut 1/16" veneers, and do minimal sanding between cuts. At about $120 delivered for a 15 foot blade (178 inches) the Woodmaster CT is more expensive than the special sale price on the Resaw King, but far less expensive than the Resaw King at regular price. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: