Veritas Low Profile Bench Stop - Shop Made

glenn bradley

Oh well . . . I've missed out on another million . . . This worked great for planing the drawer slips on a recent project.

Low Profile Benchstop (1).jpg . Low Profile Benchstop (2).jpg . Low Profile Benchstop (3).jpg

The adjustable stops on Rob's make it pretty darn cool though. I just spin the dowels off of mine and toss it in the dog/stop drawer when not in use.

Last edited:
aw, c'mon Bob, you can do it!

Glenn, nice product placement too, I bet Rob Lee will give you a nice fat commission. Nicely done. One suggestion though, if you use brass flat head screws, then your plane blade will be in less jeopardy if an accident happens and the blade digs into the stop.

Hand Planes

Almost makes me want to go out and buy a hand plane. Almost :rofl:

If you ever buy a really good plane, you will never go back. You will use it. You will enjoy it. DAMHIK!!!!

I love my Veritas planes and the wooden plane Toni Ciuraneta made for me. I, too, was pretty much a non-plane worker even though I had three Stanleys (Jointer, Jack and block). They were just too much work to sharpen, set up, adjust and I was not very good (poor would be a better description) at using them. I was at a woodworking show and, I still cannot believe I spent that much, I purchased a Veritas low-angle. It totally changed my woodworking.
I now have three Veritas planes. I gave the Stanleys away (the best thing I ever did with them).

If you can possibly do it, purchase a Veritas low-angle. You will never be sorry. Glenn and I really spent a lot of time going back and forth between Lee Neilsen and Lee Valley (Veritas). The Neilsen planes are beautiful. They are comfortable. They are like a restored Stanley with all of it's difficulties. It took the Neilsen demonstrator 15 minutes to adjust each plane before they handed it to us to try. It took the Veritas demonstrator 30 seconds to do the same thing. In spite of that we went back and forth between the two booths several times before I was ready to part with that much money.

The actual sharpening time for the blades is going to be the same. Getting the iron out of the plane and reinserting it and GETTING IT SET-UP AND ADJUSTED vary tremendously, in time and effort with different planes.

I am sure you can tell that I am VERY HAPPY I MADE THE CHOICE I DID. I now have 3 Veritas planes and I think Glenn has at least 6.

Purchase a good plane---you will never be sorry!

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
I thought Glenn was on the Lee Valley payroll, now I know who is. ;)

Jim, you summed it up pretty well, once you use a well tuned plane, well, it changes you. Forever.

Glenn,

The stop looks to be about 3" wide. Is that on purpose for rigidity or just how wide the stock was?

Thanks,

Tom

The material is only about .21" thick so I was after some rigidity. I also could have used some harder stock than walnut (red oak, ash, white oak, maple) and made it not so large. The fact is that the scrap just happened to be the approximate size I had in mind, I just planed to thickness. :) It is attached to the dogs with 1/4" flat head wood screws so the actual stress bearing area isn't large. I just drilled and tapped the dogs which are made from oak.

Last edited:
Makes me want to pull the drill out and attack my workbench! Nice!

You mean something like this Brent? It's actually a piece of 3/4" phenolic off of a cnc router that I installed on the out feed of my table saw. I grabbed once I found out the the people that bout the cnc didn't want it and it was going in the dumpster. All of the holes are 1/2" diameter equally spaced.
001 (4) (800 x 601).jpg