Thread: Peppermill

Peppermill

Have a question for all you turners. I ordered 3 salt mills and made one. Nobody has bought it. They have told me no one wants a salt mill. They are the ceramic type from Woodcraft. Is there any reason these couldn't be used for peppermills? I looked them over and the only difference I can see is that one is ceramic and the other stainless steel. Otherwise they look the same. I just didn't want them to just sit there if nobody was going to buy them. All my peppermills have sold but the one lone salt mill just sits down there. Thanks.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I would suggest trying some peppercorns and see what happens. I gave up on salt mills because they constantly leak fine salt on whatever they are placed on. I have had much better luck with salt cellars for the cooking area. I make one with a rotating lid held closed with a pair of rare earth magnets. For dining areas I make a salt shaker that is a classic pepper mill shape reduced in size by 40% using the readily available rubber stoppers and stainless steel tops. I hope this helps Jack Kerwood

I'd give it a try if I were you. It can't be for salt only because they have ceramic pepper mill mech. also. It may grind finer that the pepper mill, but it looks like they are adjustable for the grind.
    "We the People ......"

Thanks. I thought I would give it a go and see. I even put a bag of gourmet salt with it along with a matching peppermill. Several just wanted to by the peppermill. Didn't want the salt so I think I am out of the salt mill business.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,
    I don't know anything about the salt mills from Woodcraft, but I use the ceramic crush grind mechanisms for all of my pepper mills and I also advertise that they can be used for sea salt... I do sell a number of them that people tell me they are using for salt grinders.... from the looks of the pictures, I can't see why they wouldn't work as a pepper grinder... as suggested give it a try....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Well I put one together this afternoon and it worked like a champ. Only one little problem. The adjustment screw on the top has a big S on it. But the good thing my wife wants a salt and peppermill for her brother and his wife. Then she suggested one for my brother and his wife. So guess it is a moot point now. Thank you to the LOML for the suggestion.
    Bernie W.