Maybe my router bit is a bit dull?

Bryan Cowing

Had 15 minutes left of my lunch hour, so put in a cove cutter in the router table and routed a 3" long recess for fingers at each end of the soft maple sink cutting board. Had a few minutes left, so got the sandpaper out to ease the edges. Then I started to smell smoke, looked at the router table and seen a wisp of smoke rising. Once I seen what was burning I ran for the camera to document the occurrence. Glad I wasn't in a ram to get back to work. Within 5 minutes it was almost ready to burst into flames!!!!
mad.png

IMG_5966.JPG
IMG_5964.JPG
IMG_5960.JPG
IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5961.JPG

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be time to consider buying a new bit. :whistling: And you're right...good thing you noticed it and got it taken care of. :thumb:

Just wondering out loud, are you pretty sure it's the dull bit, and not maybe a tiny piece of metal or sand which caused sparking which led to the smoldering?

I am glad you spotted the smoke early and didn't let things get out of hand.

It once happened to me on a 14" bandsaw. I was cutting a bowl blank when I spotted (actually I smelled it first) smoke. Not sure if the blade was dull or I was pushing the blank thru the blade too fast. Probably the latter.

Just wondering out loud, are you pretty sure it's the dull bit, and not maybe a tiny piece of metal or sand which caused sparking which led to the smoldering?
I did push the wood past the bit fast at a full depth cut, with a 3+ hp PC router. I didn't notice anything metal or sand particles when I put the fire out. The wood is at 4% moisture.

I did push the wood past the bit fast at a full depth cut, with a 3+ hp PC router. I didn't notice anything metal or sand particles when I put the fire out. The wood is at 4% moisture.

I've burned the finished edge of wood when routing or sawing but in every case that was caused by going too slow, not too fast. I think you nailed your diagnosis as a dull bit, not the speed of cut. Buy high quality bits and get them sharpened. It's the cheap bits that are expensive - they need to be replaced.