Router table router recommendations - What are your experiences?

So I purchased a Porter Cable 890 series router when they were on sale at Woodcarft a while back. I finally dragged it out of storage only to find that the collet was sadly machined, and the bit changing experience was a bit bizzare (They tried to make it a one wrench system, but it is seriously lacking in ergonomics and ease of use). My intention was to install this router in a table, not using a router lift, but at this point I am not sure what to do. What router do you prefer for your router table? Do you have opinions on a router lift? Thanks!

Hutch

The PC7518/19 and Milwaukee 5625 both have a lot of fans for lift routers. I have the 5625 in a PRL and have run it almost daily for years and still smile whenever I use it. I liked it so much, I got a few more . . .

Mil-Crew-Update.jpg

The 5625 is variable speed and the 7518/19 has 5 stepped speeds. The ability to change speeds really ups your quality of stuff coming off the router table. I see threads on how to bypass the stepped control on the PC to add an external variable speed control. I cannot imagine why; most external controls I have seen are only medium quality (maybe I shop at the wrong places) :rolleyes:. At any rate, If my 5625 had 5 steps instead of being continuously variable I do not think it would mean much to me in practice. Some folks do have a tenancy to try to fix what "ain't broke". Both companies have gone through some changes over the years so, it would be a good idea to get the machine you want in your hands to check it out. I will say the Milwaukee collet will not leave you wanting. Its a 2 wrench system:

RT-PRL-Cynthia 006.jpg

Here it is compared to a DeWalt:

collet-compare-1.jpg

As to forgoing a lift, this is possible. The larger Triton now has the cool features for table mounting that used to belong to the 2-1/4HP unit alone (I never could figure that out). The lower powered unit does a great job but, if you use it very often, the added power will really pay off. The 5625 also has above-the-table height adjustment built in but, "bent-wrenches" are required for bit changes. I ran my 5625 this way or some time and it is very doable. A lift is like electric side mirrors on your car; we all used to do fine without them but, now that we've got them it would be murder to go back :D.

Last edited:
I wrote a reply. When I looked at the "Preview" and exited, it seems to have deleted the message. I will write it again. You may get a duplicate.

I have 6 routers (one old HF should not really count, but I did).
IMG_1132.jpgView attachment 70373IMG_1127.jpg

The router on the left is a Ryobi R181 FB, plunge. It works fine.

Next to the Ryobi is a Bosch Colt. It is a great, light weight, 1/4 inch, hand router. I use it when I cannot get the Triton in the correct position or if the position is too uncomfortable with the heavier machine. It does champfering, making small grooves, etc. well. HOWEVER, I use the Triton whenever I can.

Next is the Porter Cable 1001-T2. It is a good, solid, non-plunge, router. However, it is a bitch to adjust height accurately in a router table; unless you have a lift (extra expense).

The orange machine is one of my two Triton MOFOO1C plunge routers (the other one stays in the router table). In the table it moves up and down very smoothly and very accurately. The marks you see on the dial are a good quarter inch apart. Each mark is a change in depth of 1/128 th inch. You can see how rotating 1/2 mark would make a 256 th inch change and moving it only 1/4 of the way to the next mark would make a 512 th inch change. And you don't have to buy a lift.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
Used Porter Cable 690's in all of my router tables (7)...don't change a bit until it is dull in any except one really nice table that is used for variable projects....but then, I was a production house....Love the 690's for their simplicity but they were the older two wrench style.

When I built my table about 10 years ago, I had a Freud plunge router without a lift and did just fine for several years. Then a particular wood forum I joined convinced me it needed a lift to be functional. I bought a Woodpeckers Plunge Lift for that router and once again I was in hog heaven as far as router tables go. But then the reality hit me that real router tables had the one Norm used, a PC 7518. So I bought a used one and then discovered it wasn't complete without a lift...so I bought a Woodpecker PRL (used) and was happy. Until I learned of the Milwaukee 5625, and lo and behold, my lift would fit it with an adapter ring. So I bought the Milwaukee (and an adaptor) and sold the PC...oh! bliss again. Seriously, with today's routers that have the through the table adjustment I'm not sure a lift is needed...and they are expensive. I'm set up now for a long time (I hope), buit if I have to do it again, iot may be just the 5625 without a lift...it has that built stuff.