A Spoke File

Stuart Ablett

You have heard of a card file, right? Well my buddy Tim, the cycle builder, racer fellow builds custom wheels for serious cyclists. I built him a wheel lacing jig a while ago, which he loves, and a workbench, that is already over loaded :rolleyes: :D Tim asked me if I could build him an island of sorts, a small work table that would hold the lacing jig on top, and contain a bunch of spokes for the builds. Tim is the Japanese distributor for various top end spoke companies, and he carries a LOT of different spokes.

I came up with this......

IMG_4500.jpg

I'll be making very basic drawers, just thin pieces of plywood to hold the trays of spokes. Tim uses these plastic trays that are meant for cutlery dividers in drawers to hold the spokes.

IMG_4504.jpg

A pic of the holder on a drawer. The file will hold 50 trays of spokes, which is about 1/3 of the stock Tim carries.

IMG_4502.jpg

Basically how it wil work.

IMG_4506.jpg

Just needs an edge wrap on the top, and some finish. I put a strip on the front and back edges of the drawer, to give it some strength, and something to grip to pull the drawer out.

I'll put up pics of the completed unit in use later.

Cheers!

I got this all done and delivered today!

spoke_file_finished.jpg

There it is with finish on it, urethane, nothing special, but it should be durable in a workshop.

spoke_file_delivery.jpg

made it across town to my buddy's shop

spoke_file_done.jpg

Here Tim has placed his amazing wheel truing jig on top, going to have to bolt that sucker down!

Cheers!