CNYWoodturners- or what I did last night

Ned Bulken

I took the plunge last night and joined the local AAW chapter: CNY Woodturners. Last night's meeting was a demo about turning platters
cnywoodturners.jpg

that's the meeting room, it is located in a former school (I think) 'technology room'... Pretty good location, they/we have 77 members and I estimate about half were in attendance last night.

monitors.jpg
they've got a pretty cool set up, with two cameras feeding two good sized flat screen monitors, a wireless mike pipes the speaker's voice throughout the room, so despite being in the back of the room, I had a pretty good view of the demo nonetheless.

I took a few 'artsy' shots of some platters:
maple foreground.jpgbw curves.jpgbokeh edge.jpgmaple platter.jpgplatters.jpgsweeping curve.jpgufo edge1.jpg

Where was the meeting at? I have seen these guys at the state fair many times but have never found the time to come to a meeting. It looks like it was very informitive.

Ned, when Ben first got started turning, we both joined - this is before he had a driver's license. It is a great group of people, very pleasant and informative. And you can't beat the club price for high quality sandpaper. We had many enjoyable evenings attending. Once Ben went off to college, I just didn't have it in me to drive the distance in the evenings by myself....I'm glad you found them.

Where was the meeting at? I have seen these guys at the state fair many times but have never found the time to come to a meeting. It looks like it was very informitive.
Ed, they meet in Liverpool at the 'Liverpool Community Church', which to my eye is a converted school building. It's right near exit 38 off of the thruway, or you could come in from syracuse over the onondaga lake parkway. There is a demo next weekend, which is open to non members (cost is $30 if you're interested) but the next regular meeting is oct 9th, and the demo that month is 'tool usage' and is only $5. Let me know if you're going to be there!

Ned, when Ben first got started turning, we both joined - this is before he had a driver's license. It is a great group of people, very pleasant and informative. And you can't beat the club price for high quality sandpaper. We had many enjoyable evenings attending. Once Ben went off to college, I just didn't have it in me to drive the distance in the evenings by myself....I'm glad you found them.
Ken,
I met Larry the treasurer when I got there, filled out my 'visitor's card' and was introduced to the group right at the top of the meeting, I enjoyed last night's meeting, but honestly I'm really looking forward to the 22nd, when Andy DiPietro is doing a demo. I met Andy at Bill Grumbine's place a couple of years ago. Andy does some really amazing hollow forms, and I can't wait to see him at work.
wow2.jpg
wow.jpg

that tall HF in the center is one of Andy's pieces.

I was a bit tight on cash last night, but I plan on picking up a bunch of paper next meeting, and taking advantage of the DVD library as well.

I joined my local club just a few months ago and regret not doing it sooner.

Mohammad,
I'm glad I did, if only so I'm inspired to get out and use my lathe! I've got to clear the decks out in the shop today, but I want to get out there and make some shavings!

Looks like fun!

I tried the local club a couple times. However, it was 2/3 talk (minutes of last meeting, planning a Bar-B-Q, club business, etc.) The programs were interesting when they finally got to them. That was 3-4 years ago---I have not been back.

I'm glad you got in with a good group. Hmmm. That sounds tacky. It was not meant that way. I am sure the club business and activities were interesting to most attendees or they would not have been there. I would prefer to have the Board do the business and do it outside of the meeting time. You have to remember that I am a bit of a Type-A person and like activity---I don't "just" sit around too well.

Enjoy,

JimB