Another SNAKE story

larry merlau

this was sent to me in an email it shows why you should refrain from killing black snakes i had always been told this as akid growing up but never seen it.. here is some proof that its true..

snake 1.jpgsnake-2.jpgsnake-3.jpgsnake-4.jpgsnake-5.jpg

Awesome. They say the same thing about the gopher snakes we have around here, which is why I leave them alone. They do say they are territorial, and if you have the gopher snakes, they can keep the rattlers away. May be old wives tales, but I'd rather have the non poisonous ones around...

Many years ago I came across a black snake in the process of consuming a copperhead. I knew that snakes ate snakes but it is not somethng that you get to see in action very often. Great series of photos. I wonder how long the two reptiles are?

Great photos. I have always heard the same thing as Brent about gopher snakes (we call them Bull snakes) around here (Well I think they are the same). I don't kill the bull snakes, but any snake scares the dickens out of me.

Sharons Brother and SIL were up for the Air races yesterday.

Got home, had dinner, went out to sit on the patio and look at the milky way and tell stories.

Dogs went running out to go play in the front yard and I heard the tell tale sound right by the big rock on the patio right by the table we were sitting at. Called the dogs back (Amazed they paid attention) got them in the house and took care of the problem.

Dinner and a show you might say... That's 3 right next to the house this year. Not a huge one, only 4.5 rattles...

Just counted and one of the snakes I got earlier this year had 10 rattles...

I have a real hard time getting myself to touch them even after they are dead and the head is removed. I donated this one to the local coyote population... :eek:

was i close on the size? and once there decapitated your safe brent they can bite headless,, now the head could still contain venom and i would treat that like radioactive waste:)

I'd say pretty close. I didn't measure him, but I'd put him a little smaller, maybe around 2'. Pretty thick around the middle though.

The nice thing about my method of dispatching, A little .410 shell with #6 shot up close, is that generally the head completely disappears, if you aim right.

And you don't have to worry too much about richochets or too much collateral damage.

i am not a fan of them either and when i see folks having them hang around there necks and arms it make what hair i have left on the back of my neck raise.. but several years ago i got a very large for our state massuga rattler it was around 32" and i pushed my self to skin it for the trouphy part its still around here some where but the first few mins of cutting was tense if it had moved or twinged i would have been frozen stiff.. i could do it now easier, my mind has slowed enough that my reflexes dont kick in on that kind of thing anymore:)