Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for winter

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Getting ready for winter

It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, 'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'
    'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
    So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'

'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'it's going to be a very cold winter.'
    The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'

'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'
    'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.

The weatherman replied,
    'The Indians are collecting a huge load of firewood'
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Now thats funny
    Faith, Hope & Charity

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That is why anyone who has taken courses in Statistical Analysis wants to know all about the source of the data that was used to come up with the analysis.

Enjoy,

JimB

Statistical analysis was NOT one of my favorite courses. The teacher was the type that just yelled louder when he saw blank looks on the student's faces.

He had to yell a lot!
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Now i actually laughed out loud. Good one Don.

Thanks, I needed that!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I had an Indian (native American) tell me something similar many years ago. He told me "it looked like it was going to be a cold winter." I asked how he knew. He said by how much wood the white man was bringing in. Much the same but reversed. No matter it is funny.
    "We the People ......"

When I was a kid, my dad knew a Native American man who sold jewelry on the plaza in Santa Fe. (We lived just north of Santa Fe at the time.) One weekend when we were in town we happened to run into this guy on the plaza. My dad introduced me to him, and said "This is David. He's got an amazing memory...never forgets anything. Go ahead, ask him a question." Not being real quick on my feet at the age of seven, I asked him what he had for breakfast on January 16th of the previous year. He said "That's easy. I had eggs". I was pretty impressed for a while, but eventually it dawned on me that he was pulling my leg, since i had no way to know what he had for breakfast that day.

Probably about 25 years later I was walking around the Santa Fe plaza with my wife (at the time), and I saw an old Indian guy who looked familiar. After I realized it was David, I walked up to him and in the traditional Indian greeting, I held up my hand with the palm facing him, and said "How."

"Scrambled", he said.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

An Idian friend of my daughter's told her he can make it rain. He just has to wash his Acura...
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln