Consolidating Drill Bit Indexes

glenn bradley

I moved my matched twist drills and brad points to metal indexes magnetized to the top are of my tool box near the DP station long ago. It has worked out well but, the 1/4" - 1" Forstners just stayed in their little wooden boxes. I had been wanting to consolidate them. I am after my to-do list with a vengeance so, I finally took care of this. I used a piece of scrap from LOML's old oak front door. The block stays put via a couple 3/8" magnets on the bottom.

Drill Bit Storage (1).jpg . Drill Bit Storage (2).jpg . Drill Bit Storage (3).jpg

Now they take up about a fourth of the real estate and I can reach them easily. I just need to do something with all that other flotsam up there and make better use of that space.

Looks great, Glenn. :thumb: All of my Forstner bits are in their original boxes in a drawer that's right behind me when I'm standing at the lathe (which is where I use them the most). If I had them out in the open, they'd get buried in curlies, but in a non-turner's shop, your setup looks very useful.

I moved my drill bits to be close to the drill press to save me a lot of walking. For the first 8 - 10 days I had to walk darn near 30 feet to get a drill...!5 feet to where they were in the past and 15 feet back to the drill press where I was when I wanted the bit in the first place.

Now I just stand still and reach over and get a bit---WOW, progress.

I really don't want to admit it; Glenn's set up is much neater than mine (this sentence is in compliance with the "Truth in FWW posting ordinance").

Enjoy,

JimB

yeah frank,, a snake with its curvy profiles just wouldnt stand a chance in glenns shop,, they need to have dry dusty shelf to lay on or some other parts that havnt been moved a few days.. huh:)

Glenn do you have a special place for your spaghetti sizer????

Good shot Bart.

Enjoy,

JimB

However, I have to say, with Glenn for a son, I find that my shop has evolved from total mess, to less messy, to almost neat (unless you compare it to Glenn's).
It is easier to work and to find things so I am going to keep getting better and better in small steps; who knows, if I live long enough I may have a neat shop.

Enjoy,

JimB

Glenn do you have a special place for your spaghetti sizer????

Of course. I have two of those useless little guys in the drawer near the DP. They have been there since the day I put them there. If they weren't so flat I would have noticed and tossed them. Now that you've reminded me; their fate is sealed. (read with an evil Snidely Whiplash voice) --> Boowhaa-haa-haa-haa-haa-haa-haaaaa.