Min-Wax gel stain

OK a quick lessen on the use of Min-Wax gel stains.
Most of the stain is wasted because the initial application of stain will seal the wood and the remainder will just sit on top and dry and will need to be figgerously buffed off.
So here what I do.
When you are brushing on the stain have a bowl of lacquer thinner next to you. Dip[ your brush into the thinner and un-load most of it. Then dip a small amount of stain onto the tip of the brush. Work with the grain flat brush 1st and then thin , side ways, motion coating as much as you can on one side. { I do sides and front 1st and top last.
Then with a good terri cloth rag that has been dipped in Lacquer thinner and let alone to air out a bit so it is not wet /wet rub out the side. If it is a small coffee table end table stain the whole piece before rubbing it out.

The Lacquer thinner will help the penetration and drying time of the oil. And if you want to go darker you can retain in 2 hrs.

Min-Wax stains and inner mixable. I like to mix a Jacobean Penetrating with a Mahogany gel about 2/3rds to 1/3rd to get a rich Mahogany tone.

Well Dave I have experienced exactly what you refer to in the waste with Min Wax gel stains. But i did find them a good stain for a beginner. It was way more controlable being in gel form. I think i will try out what you have said on a scrap piece with stains I have to get some practice in while the tip is current.

I lack your eye for color so i have to rely on what the stain does or what i like rather than a clueless perception of a rich mahogany tone. :)

Question....if after drying will one be able to put water base lacquer like Enduro over it or does one first have to put a shelac barrier?

You will need either shelac or a Jacques sealer if you want to go airborne.
Rob a good way to decide the correct color to mix in is get a staining wheel or just put the correct practice piece next to the color your matching up to each other. Look and see what tone is missing. It will be most likely green, red or yellow muster tone. Blue will get you a deeper brown .

Thanks for the tip. I have a shopping list after seeing you in action and one of the things i am definitely getting is that stain color wheel. I gotta get a few items from Joe Woodworker and i will get one of those wheels from him too. :thumb:

so if i understand you right dave, the lacquer thinner in the first part of the process acts as both, ever so slightly thins the stain, and acts as a carrier for the slightly thinned stain into the smaller pores of the lumber in question? then in the second part of the process, the thinner dampened rag thins the already slightly thinned stain, making the excess easier to remove?