Thread: Lathe stand solutions... a work in progress

Lathe stand solutions... a work in progress

I saw on IAP where a guy bought a short Dewalt Mitersaw stand and m ounted his Delta midi to it. So I borrowed the idea and did likewise. The lathe mounts up perfectly! But I needed a way/place to store my lathe chisels. The wife bought me two cheap plastic tool racks a few years ago and one of them was laying on the shelf just staring at me. So I looked it over and the holes wre just about perfect for lathe chisels. So it found a new home. That left three of my tools on non-moveable bases. The PM 3520B I can't do anything about and I don't want my extended table saw mobile either. So I needed to make the new lathe stand mobile. While I prefer the HTC type mobile bases, they limit out at about 30" and I needed 30" x 46". Some years back I got two Harbor Freight mobile bases on sale for under $20 each just in case I had the need one day. With these you add your own hardwood stretchers to the manufactered corners. I immediately put one under my planer stand and it works well enough. So I started looking at my other one for the lathe. The problem is that either style mobile base would leave me standing on the front stretcher because of the spaly on the legs of the Dewalt stand. It was not really designed for how I'm using it, so I used some angle iron from an old bed frame I kept laying around and came up with this modification that will let me get close enough without stepping on part of the base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640lathe_tools_new.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	70489 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640frankenbase.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	70490
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Neat solution

I've got one of the HF mobile bases kicking around somewhere that I forgot about. Thanks for the reminder
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great solution Billy. I've seen those DeWalt stands and thought they'd be handy for a small lathe.

Oh, and your PM 3520 can be made mobile. It's not cheap, but it can be done.

Zambus Caster on 3520

Baby Got Some New Shoes
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Great solution Billy. I've seen those DeWalt stands and thought they'd be handy for a small lathe.

Oh, and your PM 3520 can be made mobile. It's not cheap, but it can be done.

Zambus Caster on 3520

Baby Got Some New Shoes
    Yeah, but then I'd either have to grow, or build a platform to stand on. I find the stock height perfect for my 5' 9" frame. That, and I'm really comfortable with it where it is; pretty much against a side wall and out of the way - with still enough room to turn anything as large as I could ever be comfortable with.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Good point, Billy. I'm about 6' 2", so the extra two or three inches of lathe height was welcome. At your height (or lack thereof ) I can see that the casters would raise your lathe too high.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So Smart

Execlent idea, that Dewalt stand. I'll be looking at that for my mini.

Great idea Billy.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.