Lathe stand solutions... a work in progress

Billy Burt

I saw on IAP where a guy bought a short Dewalt Mitersaw stand and m ounted his Delta midi to it. So I borrowed the idea and did likewise. The lathe mounts up perfectly! But I needed a way/place to store my lathe chisels. The wife bought me two cheap plastic tool racks a few years ago and one of them was laying on the shelf just staring at me. So I looked it over and the holes wre just about perfect for lathe chisels. So it found a new home. That left three of my tools on non-moveable bases. The PM 3520B I can't do anything about and I don't want my extended table saw mobile either. So I needed to make the new lathe stand mobile. While I prefer the HTC type mobile bases, they limit out at about 30" and I needed 30" x 46". Some years back I got two Harbor Freight mobile bases on sale for under $20 each just in case I had the need one day. With these you add your own hardwood stretchers to the manufactered corners. I immediately put one under my planer stand and it works well enough. So I started looking at my other one for the lathe. The problem is that either style mobile base would leave me standing on the front stretcher because of the spaly on the legs of the Dewalt stand. It was not really designed for how I'm using it, so I used some angle iron from an old bed frame I kept laying around and came up with this modification that will let me get close enough without stepping on part of the base.

640lathe_tools_new.jpg 640frankenbase.jpg

Great solution Billy. :thumb: I've seen those DeWalt stands and thought they'd be handy for a small lathe.

Oh, and your PM 3520 can be made mobile. It's not cheap, but it can be done. ;)

Zambus Caster on 3520

Baby Got Some New Shoes

Yeah, but then I'd either have to grow, or build a platform to stand on. I find the stock height perfect for my 5' 9" frame. :D That, and I'm really comfortable with it where it is; pretty much against a side wall and out of the way - with still enough room to turn anything as large as I could ever be comfortable with.

Good point, Billy. I'm about 6' 2", so the extra two or three inches of lathe height was welcome. At your height (or lack thereof :D) I can see that the casters would raise your lathe too high.