here we go.....

Dan Noren

Staff member
3 down, 18 to go.....

these are the first of many, made from the maple that i bought a while ago, thinking it was hard maple.

Attachments

• candy cup.jpg
    candy cup.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 52
  • vase 1.jpg
    vase 1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 56
  • vase 2.jpg
    vase 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 49
if this is ambrosia maple, then it's nice to turn. all i know is that it wasn't the hard maple i was hoping to get a couple of years ago. not complaining mind you. now i'm at 6 done, and 15 to go. 2 more vases, and a pencil holder.

Attachments

• pencil holder.jpg
    pencil holder.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 20
  • vase 4.jpg
    vase 4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 20
  • vase 3.jpg
    vase 3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
having received the pepper mills rather late yesterday, i wasn't able to get a start until today. oh yeah, that ambrosia maple sure turns nice. so far i have 4 of the 6 pepper mills mostly done. all that's left to do is bore the hole for the pepper to fall out of on the drill press (i tried one on the lathe, didn't work out so good), and drill the holes for the 2 screws. i plan on boring those holes when i have all 6 ready. but they are done enough for pics, so here they are. i shall resume in the morning, get the other 2 out of the way (they may go to a niece and nephew as wedding presents), and get back to the small vases and such.

Attachments

• pepper mill 1.jpg
    pepper mill 1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 11
  • pepper mill 2.jpg
    pepper mill 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 9
  • pepper mill 3.jpg
    pepper mill 3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 9
  • pepper mill 4.jpg
    pepper mill 4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8
finished off the last 2 of the pepper mills today. 2 are now wedding presents, and the other 4 are up for sale at the upcoming craft fair at the church my wife :blah: goes to. we will be back to our more artistic turnings tomorrow.

Attachments

• sell 1.jpg
    sell 1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4
  • sell 2.jpg
    sell 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 4
  • sell 3.jpg
    sell 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1
  • sell 4.jpg
    sell 4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wp 1.jpg
    wp 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2
  • wp 2.jpg
    wp 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
thanks bernie! i hope they clean me out of those 4. the fun part of it today, was that my dad's friend from across the street got to watch while i turned the last one. he got a kick out of seeing how it was done.

if this is ambrosia maple, then it's nice to turn. all i know is that it wasn't the hard maple i was hoping to get a couple of years ago. not complaining mind you. now i'm at 6 done, and 15 to go. 2 more vases, and a pencil holder.

Nice job on all the turnings, Dan! Definitely Ambrosia Maple. And it's spalted to boot. This adds significantly to the softness of the wood. "Soft" Maple is still a hardwood by woodworking standards, being harder than the conifers and even Poplar. However, it spalts quickly and this can lead some to think it is junk wood. But if you slab it quickly and kiln dry it, the hardness is evident. While still in Ohio I had to take 2 large limbs out of 1 of my 5 Maples. Each was about 8 ft long and no less than 10" in diameter. I left them laying across a raised brick flower bed for almost a year before I cut them in 10" lengths and split them. I was going to slab them, but couldn't get them to my frined with a mill quick enough. They had spalted significantly with both black line and mottled spalting as seen in your last 2 pencil holders. I have all my spalted Maple pen blanks stabilized. For bowls I use a fair amount of CA was necessary for the softer areas.

Anyway, what you've done with it is fantastic!

kind of busy today. got another 5 done. not sure where in the ol brain pan these designs are coming from, but i hope there's some more left. so that's 11 done, 9 to go....

Attachments

• vase 5.jpg
    vase 5.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
  • vase 6.jpg
    vase 6.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 4
  • vase 7.jpg
    vase 7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 4
  • vase 8.jpg
    vase 8.jpg