A picken project

Now I'm curious about the set up differences between pickin and slidin. They both have frets...are the nut and bridge higher on the slider? Can I convert from pickin to slidin and vice versa?

Well Ted, from my very limited experience...It all boils down to the action{string height} and the player. Slide doesn't require the 'actual' use of frets, the standard way of playing slide is to lightly touch the strings and not to press down upon the fretboard as one does when chording or playing finger-style. So as long as you can slide without hitting the frets and press the strings against them easily enough when playing otherwise, then the action is what I call very good. The first thing I learned about these Cigar box gits, is there are no rules, do as you feel fit and as Mr J C Bradley says....Enjoy! :bliss:

PS: you can change the action by lowering/raising the nut &/or the bridge. I'm sure someone with tons more experience will offer more....Rock on! :headbang:

Ken pretty much nailed it, action height, but you should be able to play slide and still finger the frets as it's setup now, just don't push down with the slide to the point the strings are hitting the frets. If you are and you're still being careful not to, then raising the bridge height only should buy you a little room. Mostly you don't want to raise it so high that it throws the pitch off when fretting.